Midi cable insulation

Anyone happen to know what a common insulation midi cables use? and possibly it's thermal resistance? This is not standard instrument cable insulation as it is much softer.

Reply to
Jenkins

Perhaps find some on Beldon or whoevers site if you can & look at the spec sheet.

Reply to
Dennis

Not sure of the reason for the question. Midi cables I've purchased generally use economy twin-core screened cable, the situation's no different to other audio cabling. The screening is often fairly marginal. Midi is a noncritical hardware protocol, junless you're going for long cable lengths, you could use any common screened twisted pair.

I've never looked, but given the general intent of midi hardware, I'd be surprised if temperature specs are ever considered. If you make your own, you can use whatever cable you want.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Whatever happened to be lying around, perhaps? IIRC correctly, MIDI is current loop serial data at around 32 kbps. Probably 5V or so of drive signal. How much insulation do you want/need?

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Flexible cables in general are often (foamed?) neoprene rubber. The microphone and MIDI cables I've handled feel very much like neoproene welding cable, among other sorts.

On a semi-related subject, fiber served, vinyl and silicone jacketed litz cables are nice and flexible; teflon and tape served cables are a PITA to wind on transformers, or really, use just about anywhere..

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

"Jenkins"  wrote in message
> Anyone happen to know what a common insulation midi cables use? and
> possibly it's thermal resistance? This is not standard instrument
> cable insulation as it is much softer.
Reply to
Tim Williams