Brother MFC-9600, photocopy is broken, I don't understand

I have a brother MFC-9600 Printer/Scanner/Photocopier/Fax comobo unit. Recently I found out the photocopy doesn't work right. It would produce a very light print out similar to a unit very low on toner.

The unit has plenty of toner left and the laser printing unit is in perfect order as it makes good, black prints when I send a print job to it from my computer.

The scanner also produces good contrast when I scan to computer from the unit.

I checked copy settings such as "document type" and "contrast" from maximum to minimum, but the unit continues to produce very light prints. Since the scanning and printing units are both in good working order, I don't understand why photocopier function won't work correctly.

Any clue?

Reply to
dude17

you would have to open it up, and inside are some lenticular mirrors the image bounces off of when its scanned. The mirrors likely have a mild dust buildup on them, which results in 'filtering' the image to a very light impression.

Reply to
Cobalt

That doesn't make sense. The scanner gives solid black image when I scan in greyscale mode with the lid open. Photocopying with the lid open gives mild grey printout.

If the issue was with the scanning, I would suspect problems in scanned images too.

Reply to
dude17

Reply to
Tony

Dirty optics leads to less light getting to the latent white areas on the OPC, to neutralise the charge, and so toner stays on the OPC leading to grey instead of white on the paper.

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list on

Copier repair hints

N Cook

N cook wrote: "Dirty optics leads to less light getting to the latent white areas on the OPC, to neutralise the charge, and so toner stays on the OPC leading to grey instead of white on the paper. "

This is a digital copier by the way. Scanner scans it first, stores it in memory, then, image is drawn onto the imaging drum with a laser beam.

Reply to
dude17