Broken TV from Floor Vibrations? hardwood floor, five guys jumping around playing RockBand on Wii.

Here's the situation, what are you thoughts?

- 27" tv, few years old, no signs of aging or intermittent performance.

- hardwood floow

- sitting atop a wood ikea four leg entertainment table with lower shelf for DVD plays

- 12 people in a small living room.

- 5 guys jumping around while playing RockBand on Wii

and then it happened... the tv made a loud clicking sound, like electrical arcing, and then an intense white narrow, horizontal band shot across the screen with a large white circle decreasing in size. finally the screen would not do anything but the clicking and intermitten sound of arcing internally continued. now the tv does nothing but sit in the garage.

are tv's sensitive to vibrations? one of the guys said he saw the tv moving as they were playing.

any input/affirmation that it was the vibration alone that caused the problem? we seeking tv advice before asking the guys involved to be accountable to their actions if it was indeed the vibrations.

Thank you! Tommy

Reply to
tommy.kirven

Sure, if the solder joints were marginal to begin with then vibration can certainly push them over the edge. It's a pretty simple repair, resoldering, and possibly a few parts may have been damaged by the arcing, but if the picture was nice and it's a decent quality set then it's probably worth having it looked at.

If the TV was moving that much, you might look into reinforcing the floor under that area as well. A few well placed additional braces can work wonders.

Reply to
James Sweet

Then again, he said "a few years old". TV's to go bad without outside help. :) The days are gone where you could expect a TV to go 10 years without service.

It can be repaired though.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Well that's why I said if the joints were marginal. If it hadn't been shaken to death, it probably would have died the next time it was picked up and moved.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hard wood floor, has a crawl space under there, neighbors cats like to make love under there.RCA 27'' CRT tv (for WebTV only) set I bought new at a Wal Mart store on October 15,1999.Sony Trinitron Wega CRT 27'' tv set (for watching old, old, old movies only) I bought new about this time last year at one of the Cowboy Maloney's Electric City stores.Both tv sets are sitting side by side on top of my old antique pump organ. (it has real Ivory keys) Nobody but little doggy

here.Sounds like you live in a rough neighborhood. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The TV should be able to take some vibration, unless it has any marginal problems. The CRT can be a little senstive to vibration if severe. When TV's are shipped from the manufacture, they go in huge containers, and then on trucks for long distances. They go through vibration and handling that is far greater than what you would give them at your home.

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Jerry G.