Broken Nook Simple Touch

E-reader.  Very nice.  The other day I fell on it and broke it in some
mysterious way.  After the fall the backlight turned on with a
long-press of the appropriate button, but the display would not change
from the standard picture.  After a while that stopped working too.
Nothing worked.

Took it apart and couldn't see anything obviously broken.  A new one is
~$25 on ebay, so buying a $9 battery on spec is silly, especially when I
have a spare from a yard sale.

Can anybody speculate on what might be broken?

--
Cheers, Bev
   In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

A lot of the interconnections are surface-mount things that wedge
or clamp flexible cables; I've seen those dislodge (or actually break
solder joints) without being obvious.   A probe with a stick (I keep chopsticks
in the toolbox) can make it wiggle, if that's the issue.

Re: Broken Nook Simple Touch
In sci.electronics.repair, on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 23:41:18 -0700 (PDT),

Not many people know what chopsticks were originally for.

Re: Broken Nook Simple Touch

And at that, I don't even think 'chop sticks' is even the name to use (or even the right alphabet).

Re: Broken Nook Simple Touch

First of all, a microscope might be handy in a do it yourself manner.  I wonder what hardware manufacturer makes the Nook.  Could it be Toshiba? Samsung? Apple?

Re: Broken Nook Simple Touch
In sci.electronics.repair, on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 18:13:44 -0700, The Real

It depends on how hard you fell on it.

Long ago a roommate brought me his 6" CRT tv AM-FM clock radio.  The
only one I've ever seen.  His father got mad at him and threw it at him.

The picture tube was fine but the circuit board was broken.   I soldered
jumper wires across the leads that were broken, not at the break points
but from the places where components were soldered in closest to the
break points.   About 15 pairs of them, but it worked afterwards.   Most
were obvious but some a few were just little cracks.   I think you could
solder straight the "wires", the traces, but you'd have to scrape off
the lacquer or whatever it's covered with.

Re: Broken Nook Simple Touch

Extremely nearsighted person examined whatever was visible and found
nothing cracked or broken, so I put it in a plastic bag to await
inspiration or the breakage of the one I'm using now.

Thanks, guys.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "One's chances of winning the lottery are not appreciably