I've just broken my CRT monitor, now I'm worried...

Hi,

I've just dropped my CRT monitor while moving house. I powered it up to see if it still worked. It made a loud electrical buzzing sound and sparked inside at the back.

Before I dumped it in the bin I thought I'd have a peek inside to see if I thought it was repairable. The clear glass at the very back of the CRT had shattered, I think around the electron gun/heater - so I guess it ain't repairable!

Since then I've read bits about lead-lined glass and x-rays, so I'm worried.....

Could I have been exposed to anything when the glass shattered inside the set or when I powered the thing on with the glass shattered?

Thanks.

Reply to
mwpmorris

Have any of your limbs dropped off yet?

Reply to
ian field

Kiss your ass goodbye. 24 hours to live at maximum, no known cure.

;-)

No, not really. No problem, unless you insist to try again, and places your hand inside the broken glass tube while you power up.

Reply to
Ole Geisler

No.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Heh, thanks for the reassurance. Out of curiosity - what is the broken part that I described - the electron gun?

Reply to
mwpmorris

The metal parts you probably saw is the electron gun, the whole glass unit is the picture tube.

Reply to
Ole Geisler

Ole Geisler

Well my foot hurts a bit. I'm guessing that's from when I dropped the monitor on it.

Reply to
mwpmorris

In that case all you have to fear is the psychotic paranoid environmentalists who've made it fashionable to fear everything.

Reply to
ian field

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:59:49 -0800, mwpmorris Has Frothed:

Find a dark room and see if you glow.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Meat Plow

mwpmorris wrote: > Well my foot hurts a bit. I'm guessing that's from when I dropped the > monitor on it.

Nah. the pain is from when the vacuum fell out on your foot.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

No it didn't - vacuum floats because its lighter than air.

Reply to
ian field

No, you should wash your hands after handling leaded glass but to generate xrays you need extremely high voltage and a hard vacuum, in short, it ain't gonna happen with a modern monitor, especially not a broken one. The Xray warnings are a holdover from the days of vacuum tube rectifiers.

Reply to
James Sweet

No thats a pain in your wallet ! The insurance Co should take care of that !

--
Baron:
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha escrito:

not likely to be any health risks from powering it up in that state. now get on your local freecycle and get another monitor! sure you could give one a good (new) home.

-B

Hi!

Other than maybe some trace amounts of ozone that might have generated by the arcing...no.

If you think you came into contact with any broken glass, the best thing to do would be to wash your hands. That should take care of most anything that would come out of a monitor.

I'm surprised that the monitor broke like that. It seems the most common damage from a drop is a dislodged shadow mask, which usually messes up the colors on the screen. As an aside, I once lost ahold of an IBM 8513 and it fell down a flight of stairs. It made an awful racket going down the stairs, but was fine apart from some scuffing when I picked it up and checked it out. I can only guess that the small tube size (12") might have been what saved the shadow mask in that monitor from popping loose or distorting.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Only in the Northern Hemishere.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

William R. Walsh ha escrito:

i think it depends on how it falls,from which height and what it lands on. I dropped a 14" monitor on one front corner onto a concrrete floor from waist height last year, and the tube neck cracked as the yoke's weight may have been too much.... made a pretty fire work display round the tube neck area for about 5 minutes when connected up ;-)

-B.

No. You're fine.

It's no big loss either because there are loads of used monitors running around for 5 dollars or less.

After the AT I bought used with a monitor, the next and better one was one I found in the woods lying in the snow. The uppper corner was broken and it may have been thrown from a car on the road nearby, or at least pushed down the little hill. I let it dry for 3 or 4 days and it lasted for 6 years or more. I wanted to know the specs, before there was much of a web, and I called NEC and eventually I told her that I found the monitor in the woods, and she didn't mind at all. She said they still support their products.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

Reply to
mm

mm ha escrito:

I'm currently using a sony e-200 trinitron found tossed in a skip and full of water. drained, dried and cleaned her out, changed some caps and works like a champ 7 months later.

-B