blown Rode NT1 phantom power mic

Can anyone out there offer guidance. It appears my microphone has blown. A few years ago I did some first year electronics and would ideally like to spend very little money repairing my microphone. I've opened it up and it all looks like relatively simple analogue electronics. And a capacitor has clearly blown. There is red gunk around the circuit board.

I'm hoping I can locate the offending capacitor and just replace it. But I'm looking for anyone who has expert knowledge on the subject who can steer me from the pitfalls.

I'm quite prepared to do the necessary reading up and studying to work out exactly what I need to do but can anyone point me in the right direction.

I think it went when someone (not me) unplugged it with the power going to it.

Any advice/comments greatly appreciated.

Mark

PS. I did have a quick search before posting, but I'm not sure where to begin. There was no simple Rode NT1 circuit diagram website or similar.

Reply to
markburnsemail

not necessarily an evil sign. often the gunk is intentionally placed there.

most mics of this type are built to take that.

the NT1 sells for about $200 at present. yes it would be a thrill to fix it yourself, however I'd suggest something less costly and easier to practice on as you break in to electronic repair.

Rode mics in my experience are instruments to be proud of. My NT-5 pair provides exceptional service.

a mic like this deserves the care and attention an experienced service tech can bring.

perhaps you could get one of the cheap Chinese made condensers on e-bay to practice on.

Reply to
TimPerry

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:12:19 -0700, markburnsemail Has Frothed:

Don't know what valve is in your mic but you might be able to look up a schematic for that valve here:

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

A *valve* phantom power mic? Don't think it's possible. Not enough current available from a phantom supply.

However, the Rode NT1 is an FET design.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:02:34 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) Has Frothed:

Didn't know. Got wrapped up into reading about people converting some other mics to valves I guess.

As far as the phantom power goes, you're probably right as they generally provide less than 20 Ma.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Meat Plow

That is not good.

Some ideas -- see the capacitor and resistor?

g. beat

Well, I've been using phantom mics for well over 30 years, and have

*never* switched power off when plugging or unplugging. The very idea is ridiculous.
--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah I never turned off power on my mics either and havn't had any problems.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Perhaps some don't realise the idea behind phantom power. Before it we had things like T power which didn't like a dynamic mic plugged across it - and the mic might not like it either. So the whole idea of phantom was to have a supply 'transparent' to both phantom mics and dynamic, to make rigging large gigs easier. And having to turn off an individual circuit - even if you could - to replace a faulty mic would be untenable.

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*