Blank RF Probe tips

Do any companies sell those blank RF probe tubes with metal tips? I recall back in the 60s you could buy the entire probes with internal parts as kits. They came with the same basic "shell" but had different internal parts for different uses. The parts inside of them are basic. Normally one diode and a resistor(s) or cap, or both.

I've found the schematics for several different probes, and I know that some people build them in a pill bottle, or ink pen shell, or whatever, but I'd like to find some of the REAL shells if they are sold.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Reply to
oldschool

Heathkit and Eico come to mind, but they haven't been sold in over

40 years.
--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Yep, those are the schematics I have, and maybe some popular electronics magazine articles as well.

I know this new generation of fat lazy kids are too lazy to build kits, but probes are still used even on modern electronic test gear. I'm sure there are some technicians, experimenters and some older guys who still want to build a special needs probe, and need a plastic shell with tip to do so.... Someone must sell them....

Reply to
oldschool

Lets put a stop to this bullshit right now.

There is no shortage of "Kids" (either in the classic teen bracket, or by you're implied definition of anyone else under 60) building kits. The kit companies of yesteryear and their kits aren't in business any more. The big thing now is Arduino, Instructables and the Makers.

As much as you hate "Anything Chinese" the bottom line is you can't compete against them either. Heathkit is back and trying to sell kits again. Tell me why I should pay $149 for an transistorized AM radio.

And after all your bellyaching about "I want tubes" I see you bought a used MAX Model 200. That has neither any vacuum tubes in it, nor was it manufactured in the US.

Oh, and all the prices you remember? Multiply them by roughly ten for the value in today's currency. That $14 Heathkit something? $149 now.

So quite playing Rip Van Winkle and bitching that it's not the '60s any more.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

I asked a simple question, if you cant answer it, maybe someone else can. I only asked because I dont know much about what companies sell what. It's been years since I dealt with electronics companies other than radio shack.

And yea, I like tube stuff, but I bought a XAM solid state amp. So what, that's my business, not yours.... It's a lot better than those crappy computer speakers. Regardless, I buy what I damn well please, and you dont have any decisions in what I buy or do. Nor do I really need your opinions. I asked if anyone knows if any stores sells blank probe tips, not for opinions of how to live my life, which is none of your damn business anyhow.

I could spend a whole day googling for these probes, so I asked for some advice. If you cant answer a simple question, dont answer......

Reply to
oldschool

No, you didn't ask a simple question. You decided to bitch about fat lazy kids.

Previously, you asked a simple question and you got an answer. Then you went off on one of your pointless rants bitching how things aren't like they used to be.

And for the record, I don't give a shit what you do. But you come here asking for help, then you sit and bitch and argue about the help you get.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

Here's two RF probe kits for about $15 each. And

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

You are making it far too easy. A basic search found these and two other li nks to them.

Give a man a fish....

Agreed on the BS factor however. When it is convenient to whine about Chin a, let's whine. When it is convenient to use their products, go for it. XA M products were part of the initial foray in the race for the bottom. That $0.99 pair of underwear as it were. To mix a metaphor, the rest of the came l inevitably followed. And here we are.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

It's the truth, and I have a thing called "Freedom of speech"!

Things are what they are, that dont mean I have to like them....

Here is some shopping advice for you. Quit buying your ties from China, they are too tight and they are cutting off the blood to your brain!!!

Reply to
oldschool

This XAM was made in Taiwan, which I know is darn near the same as China, but it was made around 1970, and made quite well. The entire case is metal, and well made. For my stereo, I like tube amps and want more power, but for a computer sound system, I just want to hear what is coming out of the computer. My laptop has practically no volume at all from it's internal speakers. Now I can actually hear it, and I am pleased with the sound. I spent almost twice what I paid for the XAM about a year ago, for some of the so called "computer speakers". They had poor sound, and they quit working after 7 months. My prior ones lasted maybe 2 years, and they had crappy sound too.

Sure, I had the speakers that I am using on this XAM, but I know this system will outlast any of those cheap computer speakers and it's still small enough to haul around easily. When I saw it, I knew that is was what I was looking for. And it suits me well for the intended use. Not to mention it was cheap.

Even without a schematic, I am sure I can fix it. Particularly since it has real power transistors for the output stage, not those damn ICs that usually can not be replaced, because they are not available.

But I'd still like to have a schematic if I can locate one.

Reply to
oldschool

Now we're getting somewhere...... I particularly like the one from qrpkits. And at a good price. I downloaded the PDF for it, and it's very complete.

I also browsed their other kits. Lots of interesting stuff....

Thank You!

Reply to
oldschool

XAM equipment of that vintage often (very nearly always) used germanium transistors - so be very careful of the part numbers.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com prodded the keyboard with:

I used to make mine from copper and gas water pipe with Tuffnel plugs at the ends and copper nails for the tip. Nowadays I would heat shrink a cover on them.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

It's always been true! Damn kids today!!

?The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.?

attributed to -- Socretes!!

I rembember being one of those damn kids back in the late 60s and early

70s. Promised myself to try not to grow up into a geezer.

I suppose I'll be retiring one of these days. Maybe I'll make an attempt at Ardino programming or apps or something. Or maybe I'll just sit on the porch and yell "Get off my lawn!!".

Sort of a coin toss.

Reply to
analogdial

The probe in the old ARRL handbooks was in the sort of shield and socket used with 7 pin tubes. The pin connectors were removed from the socket and a long screw was installed through the center tube of the socket. All the RF probe parts were installed on a terminal strip which was held to the socket by the screw which also served as the tip of the probe.

Reply to
analogdial

But it's no longer so easy to find tube sockets and shields. It looked like a good idea back then.

But I did try making a probe, and I wasn't really pleased with the results. It looked not so great.

I'd just go to a hobby store (they still exist) and hope to find some brass tubing that was big enough and make probe case with that. If the hobby store sells the brass tubing, then likely they sell small bits of brass sheet, and one could make end caps with those.

For things that don't need shielding, old markers to work.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Lots on ebay. Brand new from China, if that's not a problem for you. I don't quite understand Chinese manufacturing priorities. You can find new compactron and 10 pin decal sockets, too.

Reply to
analogdial

But back when the idea was topical, you could easily get ahold of the pieces, at the local store or hamfest, if you didn't have the pieces lying around in the first place.

Once you have to start ordering, you might as well go for something fancier.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Thats good to know. Thanks!

I was just reading recently that the earlier transistors were made with germanium, but it is rare and thus costly so they changed to silicone.

Reply to
oldschool