Black&Decker toast R oven won't get hot

I have one of those TRO962 toaster ovens in beige which wont start: The light goes on but it doesnt heat up on the oven setting. Also there is no model number sticker on it.

I also have an old dirty unit which looks identical but in stainless steel which does work.

Can there be anything obvious which is preventing the newer one from working which might let me take a part off the old one please? There are 4 elements in it so I presume it isnt the elements which need changing. Is there some type of relay which controls all these elements please?

Reply to
DManzaluni

Built in timer ? The oven temperature thermostat ? Oven function switch ? Should be a breeze to find the problem with nothing more than a multimeter. Even a neon-test screwdriver, at a pinch ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Don't jack with it. Call Black & Decker. They'll probably replace it free of charge - if you bought it within the last year (wink-wink).

Reply to
HeyBub

Look for an 'over temperature' thermostat which would be in series with the element. A few checks with an ohm meter will isolate the problem.

Reply to
PeterD

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:14:36 -0500, mm wrote (in article ):

Agree. I even silver-soldered new calrods into mine once. But the new ones they make are just junk.

--
Nelson
Reply to

One reviewer -- who claimed to be an EE -- excoriated his year-old $150 Krups. Seems that one of the wires burned loose from its connection. He had difficulty fixing it.

Had I seen good reviews of /any/ brand of "expensive" toaster (ie, > $50), I would probably have bought one. But I couldn't find any. So I bought a $30 unit. Heck, if it's made in China, it shouldn't cost any more.

There are two disappointing things about this unit. One is the change from a bimetallic strip to a timer to set the toast darkness. (Almost all toasters, regardless of price, have switched to this system, which makes getting consistent darkness over multiple cycles difficult.) The other is that opening the door doesn't shut off the current! This is a major inconvenience -- and possible safety problem -- when I have to prematurely terminate the toast cycle.

PS: You can clean Calrod units very nicely by dunking them in a strong solution of citrus-based industrial cleaner and water. It really strips off the shmutz, stuff you'd never believe would come loose.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

WHAT did you spray with WD40? You don't just go into an electrical device and squirt it with something that generally isn't USED in electrical devices.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Here's the scoop: I thought I had cleaned out the contacts and gave it a quick 1 second spray with WD40 from a foot or so away. It was just to clean (probably imperfectly) the points and so tiny an amount actually got to the electronics that it has hardly made any difference

What it did do was to make the TOASTER part of it turn on and work!

Unfortunately for something which looks so simple inside, the oven, curiously doesnt actually work at all! It may be something as simple as the pot under the temp control but the parts dont look easily interchangeable so I think I will junk the newer one and just go with the one which works

Reply to
myfathersson

That seems likely. Maybe a cleaning will fix it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Whenever I try that sort of thing, I ALWAYS find that it is both inaccessable and sealed. I only ever waste time dismantling it!

Reply to
myfathersson