Avometer Model 8 repair

I have an Avometer Model 8 in excellent condition except for some corrosion in the battery compartment. Before I have a go at stripping the compartment out and either cleaning or replacing the corroded bits, has anyone any tips on doing this ? Any sources of replacement battery compartments ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

corrosion

AFAIK the 30V? batteries for the high R range are unavailable anwhere, so you may as well clean out and convert the housing to take a couple of photographic 15V? batteries plus the 1.5V one

N Cook

AVO in Dover still carry spares as do Farnell in Leeds.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

They are still available new (at a price) so I'd guess AVO will supply spares.

--
*Welcome to Shit Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does anyone pay 800 GBP plus VAT for a new Avo 8 ? I was forgetting the later ones use an inverter from the 1.5V

N Cook

I'd guess they must otherwise they wouldn't be listed. Perhaps only for display purposes, though. I can't remember when last I used mine. I have a smaller analogue unit I use on old stuff where the readings call for a

10,000 ohms per volt one.

Makes sense.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave AAAAARRRGGGGHHH !!! How can you own an AVO 8, and not use it in preference to a 'little' one !!! Mine gets used every single day of my working life ! I've had it since it was issued to me as an apprentice 35 years ago, and nothing would persuade me to part with it for 'general' fault finding measurements. My high quality digital only comes out when I need to know exactly what a voltage or resistance is. Without your AVO out on the bench, where do you put your screws ...?

Finest analogue meter ever made, barring none, but I do think that 800 quid is a bit OTT. You'd have to be really serious to part with that sort of money, even for an '8. They are still readily available at radio rallies for less than £70 most times.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Heh heh. I have a mains digital LED bench meter firmly screwed to a shelf above the workbench. Comes on with the bench supply. Does things like autorange and peak hold which I find indispensable these days. Hardly ever need an analogue one - and I'd not like to drop the AVO. ;-)

Yup. Mine cost a couple of week's wages in the '60s - complete with leather case.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If anyone finds this thread in the archives. This place

when it was called Test Instrument Services used to rebuild/rewind the meter movements for the likes of Avos , but mainly keeping old but still vital bits of ship's instrumentation going. Don't know if they still do so.

Anyone know of a tutorial or hints/tips for dismantling/rewinding/resetting the hairspring on such meters ? Don't have an immediate requirement fo rthe knowledge but its something I've always steered away from attempting.

N Cook

Nice to see an Avo valve characteristic meter (mk 3 or earlier) in with the resusitated Colosus at Bletchley Park/ Station X, on the news today.

N Cook

I agree ! My first Avo was a model 7 more than 40 years ago. Like Arfa my Model 8 Mk2 is in daily use. I once watched a bloke cry after accidently pushing his off the seat of a truck he was working on!

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Gold plated ! Wow I'm envious. ;-)

Good for you.

Farnell may still have the inverter for those. The batteries are getting scarce and very expensive nowadays.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.