Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

On Friday, February 3rd, 2012 at 13:46:53h +0000, Don Pearce asked:

The 240 V will come most probably from the use of two 120 V lines which are 180 degrees out of phase.

(How come it is 120 V rather than 110 V? Higher rural voltage maybe?)

Reply to
J G Miller

Is this it?

From the style of many of the houses in Grosse Pointe, one might think one was back in a very salubrious part of England.

Reply to
J G Miller

In article , Arny Krueger writes

Sure doesn't, but remember much of the UK housing stock is old and predates electricity. My house still has the lead pipes embedded in the walls which were used to feed gas lighting, and much of the old lead- sheathed power cables (copper cores wrapped in waxed paper then sheated in a lead outer). No longer in use, thankfully.

On the contrary, the cost of the war meant that little money was available to improve the existing housing stock and little new was built. What was built were cheap prefab houses intended to be temporary. Indeed, some of those survive and are now "listed", which means they are protected from inappropriate modification and/or demolition.

Germany has done very well since the war - a lot of money was ploughed into the country to rebuild. Some would say too much. American and European money.

the rocketing price of copper certainly doesn't help.

no wonder when you see photos like these:

I think, but am not sure, that it was briefly tried in the UK but not many installations were carried out before it was withdrawn.

Some older phone infrastructural wiring in aluminium is still in use (mainly in trunk cables) and those are known to severely degrade ADSL sync speeds.

Boy, have tomes changed ;-)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

It is done as needed. In a residential neighborhood there may be several transformers per block. There is a transformer in my back yard and I can see the next one maybe 6-8 houses (on my side) down.

240v has been widely avaiilable here since before WW2.

My expectations are that since power use is likely to decrease, and the power drain of household equipment of a kind is generally decreasing, there's no push for more 220 volt usage in homes.

220 volt portable houshold appliances are rare. Just a random thought but the advent of 90-250 volt wall warts and other stuff with similar switchmode power supplies are opening the door to future implementation of more 220 volt house wiring.

The most recent *big* user of 240 volt power was air conditioning, but almost all of that equipment that is going to exist has probably already been isntalled, except of course new homes. I don't expect a lot of new homes to be built for many years.

I would say that its biggest problem is that 12 guage copper wire is getting to be pretty expensive.

Historical artifacts. I just rewired part of my daughter's ca. 1955 house and all I can say is that we added a ton of new circuits and I saw many strange things that we made go away.

Several hundred dollars worth of 12 gauge Romex and accessories were involved. Simple things like putting the garbage disposal, microwave, and toaster oven each on their own circuits make a big difference.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Looks to me like the house down the street... ;-)

Actually, quite a ways down a different street maybe a mile or two away, and probably within a block or two of Lake St Clair. It looks familiar but not all that exceptional.

I live over a mile from the lake.

The Grosse Pointes are definitely colonial-themed. My house is most definitely not. The rules for my subdivision were written after my house was built, and contain language that seems intended to avoid a house like it ever being built there again.

Type "1600 prestwick grosse" into Google Maps and you can see my house from several angles. Step a bit east of the default location for the best possible view looking about north.

Type "grosse kercheval henry" into Google Maps and take the first option offered to see a typical retail area. Google Maps street level view allows you to simulate walking south down Kercheval street. for a better look.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

I have not spent a lot of time in the UK, and not in residential areas. I rely on what I am told.

German products are well-respected and still widely sold in the US.

You might be surprised to hear that in the Detroit metro area Aldi (under the eponymous and Trade Joe brands) is probably the number 2 retailer of groceries.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

So many cables on those poles. What on earth are they all?

That really isn't pretty.

Don Pearce

I've never quite understood why so many US towns seem to have overhead wiring for mains. It's very unsightly.

--
*You! Off my planet!

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Romex is roughly what we call Twin and Earth in the UK?

What you're saying is radial circuits are commonly overloaded in some way? All of those (and more) would work just fine on the one UK circuit.

Current price for 2.5mm TW&E in the UK (for final ring circuits) is about

45 gbp per 100 mtrs before tax.
--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Same thing. Tends to have white outer jacket but otherwise identical.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Yes, 12 gauge Romex is just about equivalent to our 2.5mm twin and earth in wire gauge. The problem of course, is that in the US it is required to handle twice the current that we use for the same load.

About the same as if we used lighting spec cable for our sockets. Not a great plan, I'd say.

Don Pearce

In article , Arny Krueger writes

Not surprised, no. Aldi and their very similar competitor Lidl have many stores in the UK. I think some of the food is of better quality and cheaper than the established British supermarket chains (Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons). Meat particularly is good.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

The pole transformers aren't pretty either, though produce quite spectacular pyrotechnics when they fail, which seems to happen more often than it should.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

Plus the cores are different colours, of course, white and black instead of blue and brown. Black is hot (=live)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Most wholesalers stock both grey and white TW&E.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use Lidl for some things. Not fresh vegetables, though. Or meat. Dairy products are good value as are most other non fresh things. Their tools in general are excellent - far better than budget stuff elsewhere. But are only ever on special offer so you need to look out for them. Don't have an Aldi anywhere close.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pole transformers here seem to be a resource of last resort, usually in a rural backwater. They have multiple taps on them so the linesman can do his best to recover as much of the 240 volts as he can, despite their distance from the nearest substation.

Don Pearce

Oops, I forgot. With a ring main we are effectively using it doubled up - two runs in parallel. That means that we only load our domestic cables a quarter as much as they do in the US. No wonder we don't suffer from voltage sag here when we turn things on.

Don Pearce

SWMBO shops there a lot, including for meat, fruit and veg. Good quality at good prices. We regularly shop at Lidl in the Netherlands too, where the wine is especially good value.

--
Peter
Reply to

Also it doesn't allow high-power devices such as kettles to be driven from

120V, hence the tendency for water in the US to be boiled in a pan on a cooker hob which much be horrendously slow (I know from when I've had to do it on a gas or electric hob when the kettle was broken).
Reply to
Mortimer