ATX power supply fan noisy.

The brand I have in the shop does the same thing. I can't get into that part of my garage at the moment to tell you what it is, and I've used several brands over the years. I used to use GC 'Lubriplate' in a metal tube.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The first paragraph is a digression. OTOH, you've digressed by bringing up other websites as if one could deduce what RS is like by knowing a little about what they are like. It's true that many websites act almost like the stores don't exist. For example, the discussion of warrantee on one was not accurate wrt to purchases made at a store. And Home Depot and Lowes have terrible pages in general. Once I looked at kitchen faucets at a nearby Lowes, where they had 8 models that I could have used. When I wanted to review them later that day, the website showed none at that location, and it was hard to find out about any other location. Lowes used to ask what zipcode the user lived in and then pick a store near there and call it his home store. If they didn't have what he wanted in that store, the computer user had to come up with another zipcode and see if the store there had it. They've improved slightly. Now it looks iirc at my "home store" and then the two stores nearest my home store. But I have a car. Just tell me the closest store that has it and if I'll go there now if it's important enough, or maybe I'll be nearby soon. -- I apologize. I have digressed.

I gather you have posted without knowing much about the radio shack website. One of the reasons I called it a great webpage is that it does indeed "pretend to keep up with the stock ....of its retail stores." And not only that, afaict, it actually does keep up with them. I made a mistake when I needed the A-B switch of not checking the stores, so I'll never know what it said then, but in other situations, when I wanted something that day (unlike this switch which I knew I wouldn't use for weeks) I have looked for individual store information and what I found appeared to be correct when I got to the store.

Of course I won't know what happens between the time I check the computer and the time I get to the store (although I could call and ask them to reserve it for me) and of course there is shoplifing etc. so actual stock doesn't always match inventory records, but with computers it's not hard at all to keep track of inventory for each store. They probably did it anyhow and then just made it available to customers.

Their own website? It's you who recommended a radio shack part. Do you think that RS doesn't charge the same price at the store as online?** And what does this have to do with the OP, who likely wouldn't quibble about a dollar or two when he hasn't been able to find what he wants anywhere else so far? **Plus they have free shipping to any participating store, which I'm sure is almost all of them. Since they have stores in almost every US state, they charge sales tax on internet orders too, I presume. If the store has it, it's just as good as online and it's quicker.

So now you're going to call names. All this misinformation and irrelevancy about RS just to call me a fool!

Anyhow, he'd think that if he figured the stores never stocked it at all, and would only have it if he had it shipped to the store. Because like you say, stores don't stock all the same things the warehouse does.

You don't know much about Radio Shack.

--
Posters should say what U,S. state if any they live in. Why
do so many keep their state as secret as their own name?

IANAL.  That is, I am not a lawyer.
Reply to
mm

Hi!

I've never let one go so far as to howl. Nor have I heard one do that! The fans I've oiled were usually making a grumbling noise and it was intermittent in most cases.

There's no harm in trying it.

Just about three days ago, I broke a blade off of an Intel CPU cooler's fan. I puzzled about what to do, as the fan is an unusual type and I don't have any other Pentium III compatible coolers sitting around. What I finally did was to super glue the blade back on. The repair appears to be robust after two days worth of running. What's more, the balance appears not to have been affected at all by this little "whoopsy".

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

??? Whose first paragraph? Not mine. The word "all" includes even Radio Shack.

Not at all true. I suggest you read the "ITEM AVAILABILITY" section of its website:

"...Some items are either temporarily out-of-stock online (and may be available at your local RadioShack retail store)..."

Gee, they even say they might not. From their online site:

"...Prices advertised on this site are for online orders only."

Well, I didn't call you a fool. I wrote that "only a fool would think..." If that description fits you, fine. If the shoe fits, as they say. As far as my "misinformation" goes, are you claiming that the information given at the site is incorrect?

Apparently, much more than do you. I also know how to read fine print at a website, including Radio Shack's.

Reply to
UCLAN

Good fix. I was in a similar trouble but didn't have the blade so I placed two small rubber belts held on the nearest blades to balance the fan, worked quite well.

I've had limited success oiling fans, usually it won't last long as the oil appears to evaporate or go somewhere else. I tried several oils for motors and none of them last. Some evaporate and some harden and end up locking the fan. I belive the manufacturer used some sort of special grease, I have seen similar grease used in sleeve bearing motors for video heads in Philips VCRs that after years of operation preserves its properties intact.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

better:

Pity the chip it will be cooling is not going to be kept in service for 34 years. Maybe it has a chance to last that long in an IBM mainframe!

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

The

,

hem

Why would you even waste time on a PC power supply fan? Are you going to check the capacitors that are very likely going bad too? You can buy an Antec EarthWatts 380 Watt supply from Fry's for $30. High efficiency, power factor corrected, auto switch 120/240, variable speed cooling fan. Isn't your time worth anything?

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

In article , David Farber writes

Funnily enough, I've just replaced one of those today.

Yeah, you can use a generic replacement but if it's powered 24/7 it won't last long. Find a good quality ball-bearing replacement from the likes of NMB-Mat, Panasonic or Papst. You'll be glad you did.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)  Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

In article , Franc Zabkar writes

Also known as Vapo bearings.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)  Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7
(")_(")  a go despite what he's said about it...
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Jeroni Paul writes

Try a silicone-based lubricant (with a consistency between that of oil and grease). Expensive but it works.

--
(\__/)