Anyway of "damping" an MK Sentry circuit so cooker doesn't cut it out all the time?

Electric cooker, sealed element (ceramic hob, not the ring element) only 7 years old. Recently, if there is the slightest bit of moisture it trips the RCB and the whole house goes out.

The wiring is a little scorched, but still looks sound, but sometimes it also happens as the ring is turned OFF, which is odd. Can't find any shorts or

The cooker fuse is MK LN5930 - I think this is the closest spec sheet.

I can't find any mini rcb to replace the fuse, so the cooker doesn't black the whole house out.

Meantime, is there some way I can "damp" that circuit, so it's a little less sensitive?

Reply to
Jonathan

Is this some sort of GFCI breaker? Sounds like the cooker is finding another path to ground. There is not any way to damp this you should either find the fault or you could replace the GFCI breaker with a norman one. Probably not a good idea since you say wires are scorched though. GFCI breakers monitor the current going out on the hot wire and current returning on the neutral. They are designed to shut off when the current supplied is not returning on the neutral and is returning to ground somewhere else.

Exactly what kind of cooker is this?

What is a mini rbc?

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:52:32 -0400, "Michael Kennedy" scrawled:

Hmm, mainly pointless for uk.d-i-y.

I would assume a UK one.

--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Reply to
Lurch

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:07:54 +0100, "Jonathan" scrawled:

That would be RCD then.

Doesn't have to be shorted, although I don't like the sound of "a little scorched". How do you know it's sound, what did you test it with.

Fuse, or MCB, or RCD, or both, or all three?

Probably because RCB is a made up TLA.

Possibly, but I think you'be better calling someone in who understands electrics a little more clearly.

--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Reply to
Lurch

You could replace the RCD - some do get a little "twitchy" with age.

Best approach though is to split-load the consumer unit. Some circuits (sockets, shower) are RCD'ed, others (lighting, freezer, cooker, immersion, welders, multi-hp machine tools, pottery kiln) aren't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If only this one device is causing problem, you should replace it or have it professionally repaired. Otherwise, you're putting a bandage on a cancer.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

no

Not really, a fixed appliance with a bit of leakage on a non-TT system is a non risk. And leakage on cooker elements is normal.

  1. Is your installation TT?
  2. If not, replace the CU with a split circuit one, with the cooker not on an RCD.
  3. There isnt anything you can do to the cooker to make it work more reliably, other than bypassing the neutral switching on the user controls if its 2 pole switched. Since it pops when switched off this may be what youve got, and keeping N connected will normally prevent that.

However as others have said, I would not suggest you personally rush into the work, not until youre a fair bit clearer about this.

If its jsut one specific ring that does it, you could replace that one. But you shouldnt need to, its just a badly designed insall. Whole house RCDs are deprecated now - after being compulsory before of course. (This excludes TT systems, which have ane extra issue requiring whole house RCD cover - but that is now implemented rather better than previously)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Big electric heating elements are always going to have high leakage currents.

Reply to
Andy Dingley