And then this Philips CDR 760 appeared on the bench ...

Not a machine I'm at all familiar with. It basically does not a lot, other than to power up with the message "SERVICE" in the display window. Anybody know *specifically* what it's trying to tell us, or have a copy of the service manual that might contain some enlightenment ?

Just as the first couple of quick checks, no obviously bulging caps on the PSU (tho' not ESR'd yet) and if the drawer is manually opened and then the unit is powered, there is no mechanical reset before the "SERVICE" message appears, so drawer just stays out.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That means it failed self-test.

User Manual at:

There's a minimal diagnostic test listed at the bottom of the last page. No clue if it offers an error code to lookup.

Hint: Look for a failed ModChips problem:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks Jeff. I just found a reference to the "SERVICE" indication being a failure of self test, a few minutes before returning here and reading your post. That's interesting about the mod chip. I'll take a look at the board under the drive tomorrow, to see if anyone has been 'at it'. Interestingly, Philips machines are one of the few types that actually bother to look for the digital watermark that's present on a genuine CDR-Audio disc. Most recorders will work quite happily with cheapo regular CDR discs. Friend of mine has a Philips, and he only knows of one place locally that's left, where he can just walk in and buy CDR-Audio discs. They cost about 70p ($1) each ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily