Analogue datapot

Hi,

haven't come across this before, but I have a unit with several datapots. They aren't the usual square wave out things, they have 4 connections, and the outputs output a varying analogue output from the (eg 5v) input.

for clarity, 2 pins are 5v and ground. The 2 outputs output 0 - 5v sinewaves when turned, 90 degrees apart I think, so direction can be determined.

Don't even know what these are called, and haven't found anything similar so far.

They are the size of a typical 6mm shaft clicky datapot from Alps or Bourns, but obviously don't click, or have any discrete steps at all.

Unit in question is:

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
sound.service

Shaft encoders.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Datapot, AKA Rotary Encoder, AKA Shaft Encoder, usually have a digital output.

This one is analogue.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
sound.service

If you rotate the shaft at a constant rate, I think you get 2 triangle or sine waves out, 90 degrees apart. (Haven't studied it very closely)

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
sound.service

Since the device is being powered up and outputs a sine wave doesn't that mean it must be powered with AC? If that's the case it sounds like it may be a resolver. Eric

Reply to
etpm

In modern equipment encoders are used more often, but with these you get non-volatility, analog signalchain and usually quite nice 'know feeling'.

--
mikko
Reply to

s.

and the outputs output a varying analogue output from the (eg 5v) input.

ewaves when turned, 90 degrees apart I think, so direction can be determine d.

ar so far.

Thanks, Mikko, yes I believe these are indeed a sin/cos potentiometer.

It does have a nice feel in use, but it appears these wear out in exactly t he same way the usual digital encoders do, and now I can't find anything re motely similar to replace them with.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
sound.service