analogue switching

Hi all,

I'm building an external tone/vol stack (aka the Insect - it's got six feet and is a pain in the bum) for a Leak Stereo 20 valve amp I restored some time ago. At the moment the amp is connected only to a tuner, via a

20k dual pot to act as a volume control since niether the amp nor the tuner have their own vol/tone controls. The Insect has four inputs, so I can connect other separates to it at some point in the future.

I decided it would be funky to use logic switching between inputs using those little clicky buttons (of which I have a lot of reclaimed ones) and led indicators, for the 4 inputs. I designed a circuit to handle the analogue side using an npn transistor in common-base mode connected to each input. Each channel (ie, left & right) having 4 tranistors, and each group of 4 sharing a collector load and output coupling capacitor. My existing 20k pot could then be used as a load resistor, and function as the volume control. The bases of the transistors are then connected to the switching logic. On paper, it seems like a reasonable circuit, giving an output better suited to feed the amp's 1M-ohm input, via a baxandall circuit, than if I did similar using a common emitter arrangement.

Then I discovered the 4066 analogue switch, of which I have 2 in my very limited junk box - just the right number. Now the question is, considering it is supposed to be a hi-fi controller, would I be better to use these, or the bi-polar circuit I have designed? Given I have no means, apart from my own hearing, of testing the result (and I'm not an audiophile), and if I were to use the 4066's, they would still need some kind of impedance matching. Or should I just abandon the idea and use a 4 way switch.....?

Thanks in advance, Monster

--
Of course I can!  I'm British.

www.the-monstruum.co.uk
Reply to
Little Monster

It seems unlikely that any of the solid-state circuits (whether your own bipolar design, or the 4066 FETs) would give the low-distortion switching function that a good metal-on-metal mechanical switch does. But if you are "not an audiophile", then maybe that doesn't make any difference to you. I'd poke around the WWW for example circuits where commercial equipment uses 4066s to switch audio. Of course, the manufacturer's own data sheets and application notes are a must- read.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:20:23 -0800, the world was enlightented by Richard Crowley, unto whom the words are attributed:

Mmm, thanks, that's sort of what I thought. Good job I got the switch, just in case then :-)

Monster

--
Of course I can!  I'm British.

www.the-monstruum.co.uk