an improved electrical resistor

Middle sentence of second paragraph is the most relevant.

Otis Frank Boykin was born in 1920 in Dallas, Texas. His mother was a
homemaker and his father was a carpenter. He worked as a laboratory
assistant at the nearby University's aerospace laboratory. Otis
attended Fisk University and Illinois Institute of Technology, but
dropped out after two years because his parents could not afford his
tuition.

Boykin, in his lifetime, ultimately invented more than 25 electronic
devices. One of his early inventions was an improved electrical
resistor for computers, radios, televisions and an assortment of other
electronic devices. Other notable inventions include a variable
resistor used in guided missiles and small component thick-film
resistors for computers.[2]

 ---------------

So how can one improve an electrical resistor?

Re: an improved electrical resistor

A careful read of the actual patent filed for this "improved resistor"
shows that the improvement was more for reliability and ease of
manufacture. This also implies that the cost would be minimized for
the more accurate resistors (1% etc).
Search the web for patent #2972726 for more details.  The patent
itself is 4 pages and was dated 2/21/1961.

Dan

Re: an improved electrical resistor

Stability and tolerance comes to mind.
--
Boris

Re: an improved electrical resistor
!:better stability
2:lower temperature coefficient
3:mechanically stronger.
4:Less ageing.
5:higher admissable peak voltage/current.

Warn us when you produce something like that.....

Re: an improved electrical resistor

The invention was easier to manufacture while simultaneously lowering
both self-inductance and self-capacitance.

Re: an improved electrical resistor
On Tue, 17 May 2011 19:04:15 +0200, Sjouke Burry

I must have really low standards if I didnt think of any of these.
My ex-girlfriend tells me that's what I have.

Okay.

Re: an improved electrical resistor
finger to keyboard and composed:

Did you trade up to a girlfriend of a higher standard? ;-)

- Franc Zabkar

Re: an improved electrical resistor

A change of materials might allow a resistor of a given physical
size to dissipate heat more effectively, or run at a higher body
temperature without damage or change-of-value, or survive a
catastrophic fault better (e.g. "flame-proof" construction), or be
less expensive to manufacture.

--
Friends of Jade Warrior home page:  http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior
Re: an improved electrical resistor

This is a bit misleading, because Boykin was a grad student at IIT
from 1946 to 1947. Around that time, he formed the Boykin-Fruth
corporation with fellow inventor Hal Frederick Fruth, PhD. (Dr. Fruth,
a physicist, was perhaps best known today for telling W. Edwards
Deming that Western Electric might pay him as much as $5000 a year
when he got his PhD, but that they were looking for men who would be
worth $50K a year to them.)

Re: an improved electrical resistor
On Tue, 17 May 2011 12:23:22 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888

So he had graduated from Fisk.  Yes, definitely misleading.  Although
now I do see that it could mean what you say , I thought he only had
two years of post-high school.   Six years is a lot more.  Wikipedia
often has paragraphs out of chronlogical order and hard to follow, or
even conflicting paragraphs, written by different people, I guess.

Hmmm.

Thanks all.

Boykin was black, btw.  Fisk is a historically black college.

Re: an improved electrical resistor

There are a lot of hits for him in "famous black people" sites, some
of which make a variety of improbable claims*. He did receive a dozen
patents, mostly for CTS (originally Chicago Telephone Supply).  When
CTS moved to Indiana, Boykin stayed in Chicago -- perhaps educated
blacks weren't welcome in Indiana**. One patent lists his address as
8251 S. Maryland, which I note is a three-flat according to the pic at
the Cook County assessor site.

*Improbable that Boykin invented the pacemaker or a guided missile, or
that pot fueled his inventiveness.

**Pioneer hormone synthesizer, Percy Julian, had to leave Indiana to
find work, ending up at the Glidden Paint company in Chicago.

Re: an improved electrical resistor
On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:12:40 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888

The Klan was big in parts of Indiana, mostly the southern half.  While
schools in Indianapolis weren't officially segregated against Blacks,
they created a high school just for Blacks to suck up most of them and
keep them out of the other schools, and black students from other high
schools were forced to attend Crispus Attucks H.S. It accepted its
first white students in 1967.

It didn't say that in the wikip page,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Boykin only that he invented a
valuable part.

It shows "An ink drawing of Otis Boykin from a U.S. Department of
Energy biographical sketch of 1979." on which is written "Electronic
Devices for heart stimulators and guided missiles.

LOL  I think pot refers to potentiometer. "Other notable inventions
include a variable resistor used in guided missiles"