Alkaline battery testing

From time to time I would like to properly load test different types of

used alkaline batteries such a AAA AA C D and 9V. Does anyone have the load specs on this or perhaps a chart showing what the minimum terminal voltages would be under load for new or used batteries of the sizes mentioned above. Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Duracell has charts for their batteries showing voltage over time at different drain currents.

Other manufacturers may have this data as well.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

We have had interesting results testing the ESR of batteries using Bob Parker's ESR meter kit. I have a chart on:

Perhaps you can make a baseline for your batteries then you have a potentially non-destructive process to quickly evaluate batteries without loading them down. Or not.

John :-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call

So according to the article you can just place the esr meter directly across the battery without damaging the meter? What effect will the two back to back diodes which I installed for protection have on this?? Lenny Stein.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Interesting idea, but I would think you would need to use a DC blocking cap. A large non-polar cap would work. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Ah, well, you will need to temporarily REMOVE the clipping diodes...perhaps a way to switch them in and out of circuit depending on the function you are testing (in = caps, out = batteries?).

John :-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call
        www.flippers.com              "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."
Reply to
John Robertson

Reply to
John Robertson

That would seem to beg the question if one were simply to replace that cap with say one with a 450V working voltage, would the diodes then be unnecessary? Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462002

At minimum, you would need to compensate for the ESR of the new 450V cap you introduced in series into the test leads in order to still get an accurate reading. The diode clamps sounds like a more effective way to protect the ESR meter to me since test voltage is kept below the bias voltage so they don't affect the calculated ESR.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I suspect one could put the blocking diodes AFTER the capacitor, thus protecting the unit from surges. If you are going to use the meter to check batteries then leave the protcetion back-to-back diodes off the input lugs, otherwise install them or be very sure the cap is discharged before attemtping to read.

Bob Parker put a lot of thought into designing this kit and I hazard to recommend any changes from that design.

Thanks Bob (as always).

John :-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call
        www.flippers.com              "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."
Reply to
John Robertson

I would hate to have a "switched" arrangement for the diodes. I'm admittedly quite careless sometimes, and Invariably I would forget to switch them back in after using the meter to measure a battery and wind up blowing the micro on a charged 250V cap. Probe tips are cheap. Those diodes have saved the micro as well as my ass on more than one occaision. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002