advice on re-foaming a speaker

I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do or no to-do?

Reply to
lordlewis

First agenda, read up using a browser. There are probably endless pages on the web devoted to the topic, and pictures, why elaborate?

greg

Reply to
GregS

Check the faq, at

There is a section on speakers, and it might have something about refoaming. It did have a useful bit about fixing a broken wire to the voice coil, something I wouldn't have given thought to before I saw the bit, but which did work.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I have an understanding of how to-do the re-foaming. Sometimes there can be simple things that experience can teach you but an instruction manual can't. I wanted comments from people that have done it before.

Reply to
lordlewis

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Many have commented on their web sites.

I don't recall any problems other than the foam didn't fit right. That can be tested before you do anything else like removing the old foam. Sometime inverting the foam curvature works. Have good sharp, small razor edge components to cut off things, and do remove the dustcap and use shims. Have some tape handy. Work near a sink. The glue is water washable when not fully dry. Have alcohol handy for cleaning. Have a vacuum and a duster blower handy to remove pieces of old foam. You don't want things to fall into the voice coil gap. Small pieces of metal in the gap can be removed by manipulating a small screwdriver or preferably a plastic screwdriver, and blowing with can of duster. Take a shim and go all around clearing out any debris in the gap. Carefull gluing the ductcap. Don't let glue drip down into gap. My preffered method of attaching dustcaps is using 5 minuite epoxy. Have a hair dryer handy. You can speed the drying process.

I have only done a few, allthough I have treated, and, or repaired by other means tons of speakers. Silicone rtv can do wonders. I also use a lot of Airflex 400, a flexible polimer version of Elmers Glue. Actually, Airflex 400 is the stuff that the foam is glued back with in the replacement kits. I also use it to add a coat to paper conned drivers.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Buy your supplies from Parts Express (partsexpress.com) and order their how-to video at the same time.

A picture is worth a.....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

jakdedert wrote: > lordlewis wrote: > > I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have > > the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a > > speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do > > or no to-do? > >

My first 2 Advent re-foams were the ones with the masonite reducer rings. I used a hot air gun to heat the frame to get the rings out to clean the old foam and glue out. The kit had new dust caps and shims, all of which worked fine. I used silicone caulk to attach the masonite and used 24 clothespins around the perimeter to hold all in place for a day. The ring removal was obsession on my part and would have been just fine not removing it - like later drivers (I have 8 units).

Later drivers I didn't pull the dustcaps or use shims. These drivers also work fine but with considerably less fuss. So far I'm 5 for 5. BTW, the first kits were from Parts Express.

Basically, be careful, clean old junk well and don't rush. They took years to fail and will run many more years if you do a good job.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

try uk.rec.audio or rec.audio.tech. some very knowledgeable folk there...

Ben.

Small pieces of metal in the gap can be removed by manipulating

Just drag some sticky tape through the gap. Picks up the metal bits like magic.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Try

Great prices and kits include plenty of glue and a dvd with instructions. I used their kit to repair my Cerwin Vega 12 DVCs with no problems, my first time out. Kit includes dust covers, foams shims, glue and instructions.

Regards,

Reply to
Bob La Rocca