3D Printer

I'm only familiar with the hot plastic style of 3D printer. They have them at the local library and before COVID I was able to watch them build some impressive sculptures (with kids working on them.)

I did not realize there was another kind with higher resolution available until I saw an ad for 3D printed trumpet mouthpieces, and the required finish and resolution is much higher, so they are using a cured resin approach.

I found this link:

Tim R

Yes, it's CAD, but the approach is a little different. Where I think of drawing as an additive process, the approach here seems to be start with a larger shape and subtract elements.

Reply to
Tim R

te:

m at the local library and before COVID I was able to watch them build some impressive sculptures (with kids working on them.)

until I saw an ad for 3D printed trumpet mouthpieces, and the required fin ish and resolution is much higher, so they are using a cured resin approach .

I built a resin printer using a projector and CD/DVD drive from an old PC. Resin is stinky and requires a space with vents and fans. It can get mess y. Results or "ok". The price of these machines continues to drop and I'l l probably end up grabbing a decent one soon.

Edward H.

I've used tinkercad.com to create a few items. It can get bogged down but it's a great site.

Netfabb is a must have. It fixes any issues with your objects after creation. It's free and helpful.

Edward H.

I wasn't even thinking of the resin printers. They can generally print at a higher resolution than filament printers. They are limited though to just several resin compounds. Filament printers have, as of now, many more options. For printing small stuff like knobs a small resin printer might just be the ticket. And you can get small ones for about

200 bucks. Which leaves more money for the scanner. Maybe Pete doesn't even need a scanner with high resolution. He could scan at the low resolution and then clean up the scan with a CAD program. That would work. I have done similar stuff converting jpeg files into CAD files. Eric
etpm

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 11:06:49 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote :

ote:

em at the local library and before COVID I was able to watch them build som e impressive sculptures (with kids working on them.)

e until I saw an ad for 3D printed trumpet mouthpieces, and the required fi nish and resolution is much higher, so they are using a cured resin approac h.

/

Hiya,

If Pete decided resin was the way to go I would highly recommend Anycubic P hoton for about $200 or the ANYCUBIC Photon S which has "dual rails" for a bit more, $400 or less. Anycubic has a huge following on facebook and I've been following them for a few years. Everyone there is extremely nice and the information they provide is invaluable. I might grab the Photon S nex t year. The Build volume : 115 x 65 x 165 mm.

Reply to
Edward H.

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 6:20:14 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote :

iece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things a s knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (

130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simpl e-is-good.

Creality has a huge following on Facebook and support can be found in a lot of places. You can find parts for it in many places if required. Creality Ender 3 for about $200. Nice build volume 220x220x250mm and heate d bed for ABS filament. I recommend building an enclosure if using ABS to reduce warping. The Creality CR-10S can be found for under $400 and has a large build volum e 300 x 300 x 400mm. This is what I would replace my Da Vinci 1.0a with in the future. Beast of a machine and it costs less than what I paid for my machine.

*PS you will have to assemble these printers yourself. I didn't have any i ssues with the Ender 3 I bought my little brother. Prints better than mine .
Reply to
Edward H.

piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the abilit y to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simp le-is-good.

orum. Tektronix knobs have a lot more detail than radios used, but people a re happy with the results. They have recommended the proper plastics, print ers and software. Be advised, to anyone who wants to join, not just read. Y ou will be kicked to the curb if you are an asshole. If you do get set up, you can post files so others can make the same part without starting from s cratch. It can either be public, or private but if others add their files i t would save a lot of time and headaches. You could even set it up at a sho w and demonstrate how it works.

interested in Tektronix equipment.

This is a great group. No nonsense, professional, civil, stays on topic. As pointed out, assholes are not tolerated. J

Reply to
Three Jeeps

At this point, and given a very successful track-record with smaller pieces , I will focus on making larger resin-castings rather than a 3D printer wit h perhaps-marginal resolution. The nice thing about silicon molds is that t hey may be used over and over after a little bit of care in the making. I w ill let 3D printer technology evolve for a bit before investing at what I s ee is the level necessary to be useful for my intentions.

Thank you for all your input.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.