3COM 3C857 - PSU

Today's visit to the dump turned up a 3COM 3C857 DSL gateway, needless to say I didn't get the matching wall wart, stamped on the back is 10 - 30VDC. That seems to be an unrealistically wide range, especially when I downloaded the user manual and saw the dire warnings to only use the correct power unit! Anyone know what gives, such as can I get away with a PSU that just tops 10V?

Also anyone know what I'm missing - not having the original install CD?

TIA.

Reply to
ian field

Get a multi voltage wall wart and step the output up until it works. If you want to get fancy, see if it has a regulator inside and crank it up until the voltage seems correct.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Thanks - good idea! It has a switcher with a small-ish toroid, a 7-pin SMT TO220 and a 3A SB rectifier, so 10 - 30V probably isn't that unrealistic after all.

Reply to
ian field

I was given three HP Jetdirect 300X Ethernet to Centronics printer interfaces that are marked 9 to 35 VDC, and they had 13 VDC power supplies with them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That sounds about the right ball-park, I'll search my tea chest of spare wall warts for one marked 10V and pushes 12 - 13V off load.

If anyone can tell me, I'd still be interested to know what would be on the original install CD if I had it - the driver I downloaded was less than 1Mb.

Reply to
ian field