100v (japanese) to 120v (usa) on a capacitor motor

hey smart people, i have a japanese fan that i want to install in my attic on thermostat. its from a clean room in japan, running on 100v. ive heard that i can do this without a transformer, "it will just run hot". is this true? is there a chance of fire? just how hot? will it likely smoke in a week? or a year? thank you

Reply to
x24x24

Mike Berger

Is the fan 50 or 60 cycle?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Get a power transformer with a ~20 V secondary rated for the current of the fan. Then wire the primary across the line, secondary in series with the fan with reverse polarity. You can probably find a suitable transformer on eBay.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I would use a transformer. It can be done cheaply by wiring up a 120V to

24V power transformer in a buck configuration. You can get one of these cheaply from anywhere that sells HVAC surplus. Just make sure the secondary is rated to handle as much current as the motor draws, it does not have to be a very big transformer because it is not powering the full load of the fan.
Reply to
James Sweet

thank you very much, that sounds likea great idea.

Reply to
x24x24