100v--> 10V Trans. on 120V

I was wonderin if someone could educate me on Transformers. Here I have a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn transformer. Am Im I correct in guessing that this transformer is going to output 12V on

120V power instead of 10V it would on 100V?

Not being in the USA at the moment I can't just check it and see what the voltage is.

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

on

Yes, BUT. Iron transformers are designed with only sufficient turns on the primary to prevent the core beginning to saturate at the highest expected voltate [~+10% or so] so if you try and run a transformer designed for 100V nominal on 120V nominal the core will likely be running into the saturation curve. This can give three effects: the primary current draw will be excessive causing the wire to overheat, the core running into saturation will overheat and finally, the output waveform may be clipped causing a reduced output voltage compared to what would be expected from the turns ratio. However, that transformer may be specified for the Japanese 50Hz power in which case there will be some extra margin so it could operate okay on 120V 60Hz [100V *

60/50Hz] In other words, it is okay to run a transformer on lower primary voltage than specified but not higher and it is okay to run a transformer on a higher frequency than specified but not lower [assuming typical power line frequencies 25-60Hz].

Neil S.

Reply to
nesesu

If the supply is rectified and well regulated it will output 10vdc or there abouts.

Meat Plow

"nesesu"

Iron transformers are designed with only sufficient turns on the primary to prevent the core beginning to saturate at the highest expected voltate [~+10% or so]

** Only true for toroidal an C-core types - it is common practice to allow the core of an E-core type to operate into some or even a lot of saturation. The practice is almost universal with small PSUs containing E-cores.

so if you try and run a transformer designed for 100V nominal on 120V nominal the core will likely be running into the saturation curve.

** See above.

This can give three effects: the primary current draw will be excessive causing the wire to overheat, the core running into saturation will overheat

** The operative word is "can" - chances are that the unit will tolerate the increase.

and finally, the output waveform may be clipped causing a reduced output voltage compared to what would be expected from the turns ratio.

** Fraid you have gone right off the rails here.

Core saturation does NOT cause waveform clipping - for the simple reason that the current draw increases only around the times of zero voltage on the AC wave.

However, that transformer may be specified for the Japanese 50Hz power in which case there will be some extra margin so it could operate okay on 120V 60Hz [100V *

60/50Hz]

** Correct - almost all Japanese ( local market ) power transformers are built for 100 volt AC @ 50 Hz operation.

About half the country has 50Hz power.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On 12/3/2010 1:08 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

How do you get DC out of a transformer? Must be a really special one ...

Of course, it's impossible to tell from the O.P. whether the thing in question is really a transformer (outputs AC) or a power supply (outputs DC).

To the OP, it would help us to know. What does it say on the wall wart? Should say something like "10 VAC" or "10 VDC" or some such.

David Nebenzahl

Fuck off you pisswit. Note the "If" word, Revenge Dweeb.

Meat Plow

On 12/3/2010 8:35 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

Fuck off yourself, Meat Head.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

    http://wikileaks.de
    http://wikileaks.fi
    http://wikileaks.nl
    http://wikileaks.eu
    http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

    http://213.251.145.96/
    http://88.80.13.160/
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Love it when I back up trolls like you into a corner.

Meat Plow

Having a DC output from a transformer is obviously more common that you think.

The old style automotive ignition coil (autotransformer) outputs HV DC.

That's one example, and it is a transformer although not the kind used for a game system power source, and the output isn't rectified.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

On 12/3/2010 10:30 PM Wild_Bill spake thus:

OK, you win.

On a technicality.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

    http://wikileaks.de
    http://wikileaks.fi
    http://wikileaks.nl
    http://wikileaks.eu
    http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

    http://213.251.145.96/
    http://88.80.13.160/
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Having a DC output from a transformer is obviously more common that you think.

The old style automotive ignition coil (autotransformer) outputs HV DC.

That's one example, and it is a transformer although not the kind used for a game system power source, and the output isn't rectified.

Technically, the input of those coils is AC (pulsating DC, more like square waves than sine waves, but still AC). The output is DC because it only outputs on the down cycle of the input (as a result of the collapsing magnetic field). Even still, the output has some AC characteristics, such as the slow decay time as opposed to the fast rise time as the current is applied to the primary. The capacitor across the points helps slow the decay even further, keeping the voltage peak higher, longer.

Reply to
Brenda Ann

Lot's of "wall-warts" have a rectifier diode and capacitor in the same little box. More and more they actually have little switching regulators in there. Those are more efficient and can supply much more current, but they usually don't last much more than about 15 months because they use such crappy little capacitors in them, and they are virtually unserviceable.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

On 12/4/2010 5:04 AM Mark Zacharias spake thus:

Yes, we know that. My point is that a lot of wall warts are just what the O.P. called them--transformers--and that we really have no idea what his is, based on what he posted.

More informations, please.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

    http://wikileaks.de
    http://wikileaks.fi
    http://wikileaks.nl
    http://wikileaks.eu
    http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

    http://213.251.145.96/
    http://88.80.13.160/
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

DC 10V, although I doubt there is much inside of this thing when it comes to electronics aside from a couple of diodes or a full wave bridge.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Quote: Michael Kennedy

transformer.

/quote

Sorry I somehow forgot to write core a between iorn and transformer. It is a 10vdc Iorn core transformer wall wart 50/60Hz 850mA. Not a switcher. Most likely it has 4 diodes a fuse and possibly a small cap insde of it along side the transformer. The regulation is inside of the nintendo itself.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

On 12/4/2010 12:04 PM Michael Kennedy spake thus:

You don't understand.

No biggie; apparently you're a newbie. That's OK.

A transformer (and *all* transformers that operate on line frequency--50/60 Hz--are iron-core, so no need to specify that) converts AC to AC.

If the wall wart contains diodes, then it's not just a transformer; it's a DC power supply. (A transformer is part of it.)

So apparently what you have is a DC power supply, judging from the "10 vdc" above.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

    http://wikileaks.de
    http://wikileaks.fi
    http://wikileaks.nl
    http://wikileaks.eu
    http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

    http://213.251.145.96/
    http://88.80.13.160/
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

What I perceive is an idiot troll (you) backed into a corner.

Meat Plow

I've heard plenty of people refer to a wall wart as a transformer. The OP gave no other specs than 10 volts. My reply was "if" it was rectified and regulated the output should be around 10 volts with 120 in.

In Dave Nebenzahl's attempt to insult/discredit my reply his haste caused a fail to notice or credit my word "if". It's a hurried cheap shot and I would expect nothing less from someone whose experience, knowledge and talents fall woefully short of mine.

Meat Plow

Micheal a newbie? And condescendingly so. Alt.home.repair is a better group for you to troll and is that away --------------->

SER is filled with those of intellect in-imaginably far superior to yours.

Meat Plow

On 12/4/2010 3:02 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

What I perceive is an unpleasant, belligerent and ill-mannered cur who has a curious obsession with me ... get over it.