Anyone used the ISD4000 series Chipcorder?

I am looking to utilize one on a project. SPI driven interface. just curious if anyone has any experience with it, good or bad. (I am using the ISD1110 on a current project...looking to use SPI to lower the pin count in the future)

Reply to
NewsClient

I guess not! Anyone interested in the ISD4000, or shall I keep my notes/experience to myself? ;-)

Reply to
NewsClient

just

i did some stuff with the isd range a long time ago i still being used to play animal noises. but the chips i used made clicks at the begining or end of sound track I cant remember which. I turned then on and off with a pic.

David

Reply to
david

I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in how things go for you. I have, for one reason or another, always stayed away from the ISD sound goodies. I would be interested in what your selection criteria was/is and any issues you may have (or not have) making a system using the ISD4000. A little background on what the end product is might be useful too.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

I have several projects for this, but the one I am experimenting with currently is to make a game for my kids to play. One of them is visually impaired (read as blind), so sound and touch are the major play options.

I selected the ISD because of the simplicity of interface, and maturity of the product. From what I have read, the early ISD's did have "click problems", but there were work arounds...and those are resolved in the newer products. I selected the ISD4000, because i am currently using an ISD1110, and I hate wasting pins for the address space :-) The SPI interface on the ISD4000 looks really promising. This will additionally be my first surface mount components project, so that should make it a joy also. :-)

basically, the game is kind of like a reverse laser tag...a virtual maze, that will send different sounds to let you know where the walls are. Uses IR proximity detection to let you know when you get close. That way, you can moved the "walls" around easily.

The ISD1110 project was a clicking location and alarm system for VI children. You put an emitter on the parent, and a "sensor belt" on the little one. The clicker sounds every few seconds, to let the visually impaired child know where the parent is (beats having to wear squeaky shoes!). there are 4 sensors on the belt, one of the front, one in the back, one on each side. The tone changes depending on the orientation of the child, to the parents emitter (so the child knows if they have turned and are walking away, or towards the parent). Using pretty low power IR. If the child gets out of range, an alarm goes off (not that anyone would ignore there child, but because kids do the DARNEDEST things).

Eventually, I plan to offer these in public domain, and to the American Federation for the Blind. So, if you must steal the idea and make a product, at least send a donation to the AFB. ;-)

My other project is the dirt cheap braille printer, sent as another thread in this group...but that is on hold for the moment, as we have a manual brailler to get "up to speed" on.

Reply to
NewsClient

Sounds like fun. Keep us posted.

Jim