Programmable I/O Card for the PC - does it exist ?

Anyone knows of a programmable I/O card for a PC ?

I am lookinf for something that can be plugged into PCI slot and software programmed to generate arbitrary digital outputs such as Square-Wave clock or any Serial bit pattern.

thnx

Reply to
vadim

A Xilinx/Altera PCI eval board perhaps?

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McDougall

Actually, there are such boards. They are called (oddly enough) arbitrary waveform generators. I think you can get analog and digital versions.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

The printer port is the classic low cost way to get data in or out of a PC. It may not be as fast as you want and/or you may not like the pauses from interrupts or the scheduler. With a bit of hacking, you can probably disable interrupts to fix that.

If your task is simple enough, the idea of using an FPGA or CPU on a demo board seems pretty good to me. Pick the board to meet your requirements. Or use one from your collection.

There are USB to GPIO gizmos. I don't have a URL handy. (I did a PCB for a USB to JTAG gizmo based on one.)

Hal Murray

I have found a I/O card by Geotest called GC5050. There are several small companies that make similar stuff, but I wanted to know whether anyone has experience (good/bad) using such cards to generate bit-streams.

I am limited on FPGAs and would prefer to have a Software driven dedicated I/O card that can be reading a simple text file containing the bit patterm ("1"s and "0"s) and outputting to its ports. Frequencies of interest are 1Mbps up to 100Mbps...

Reply to
vadim