With or Without Package Management

Hello all,

I am wondering if I still need to bother having a package management
on an embedded GNU/Linux project because it seems that most of an
embedded GNU/Linux projects I've known are not using one.  Actually, I
found SLIND <https://www.slind.org/ which is a Debian Etch based
embedded GNU/Linux OS but the packages used are from Debian's.

Please advice.

Thank you in advance.

GNUbie

Re: With or Without Package Management
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.embedded, in article

That's entirely up to you.  What does the package manager do for you?
In a desktop/server type of system, the main advantage is allowing a
person to easily keep the system up to date, but knowing what files
are related, what dependencies exist, and so on.  If you don't use a
package manager, and intend to keep the system updated, you need to
maintain a database or notebook or something, that lists what is
installed (what files/directories), and what dependencies each file
has.        If you intend to maintain the system by supplying a new
snapshot of the entire system every time you need to update anything,
then the package management can be done on the system where you are
developing the snapshot.   If (because the system is isolated) you
decide that software maintenance is not needed, and the system will
simply be thrown away when no longer working correctly, then you don't
need a package management tool anywhere.

        Old guy

Site Timeline