With or Without Package Management

Hello all,

I am wondering if I still need to bother having a package management on an embedded GNU/Linux project because it seems that most of an embedded GNU/Linux projects I've known are not using one. Actually, I found SLIND which is a Debian Etch based embedded GNU/Linux OS but the packages used are from Debian's.

Please advice.

Thank you in advance.

GNUbie

Reply to
gnubie

That's entirely up to you. What does the package manager do for you? In a desktop/server type of system, the main advantage is allowing a person to easily keep the system up to date, but knowing what files are related, what dependencies exist, and so on. If you don't use a package manager, and intend to keep the system updated, you need to maintain a database or notebook or something, that lists what is installed (what files/directories), and what dependencies each file has. If you intend to maintain the system by supplying a new snapshot of the entire system every time you need to update anything, then the package management can be done on the system where you are developing the snapshot. If (because the system is isolated) you decide that software maintenance is not needed, and the system will simply be thrown away when no longer working correctly, then you don't need a package management tool anywhere.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin