Force Sensing Resistors in sidewalks

I'm looking for an implementation for detecting when a person walks over given sections of a sidewalk. Digging up and existing sidewalk to install force sensing resistors may not be an economically viable solution, however I would like some help in solving this.

I was also thinking of an EMF detection wire system, similar to those used for vehicle detection on roadways, but to detect people. However, this would be subject to too much external EMF interference due to it's highly-sensitive calibration.

Ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
nascortechnologies

What about sound? Install a linear array of equally spaced microphones or geophones (the more the better) at the inner edge of the sidewalk. Sample the microphone signals with a common clock. Depending on the location the sound of the step will need different time to arrive at each microphone, and from these differences, the distance between two microphones, and the speed of sound in the sidewalk material you can obtain the position.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

Don't try to reinvent the wheel:

. . BTW, your cross-posting technique stinks.

Reply to
JeffM

On a piece of hot concrete?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A TV camera and motion sensing circuitry or software.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

try using IR (infra red).

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

It'd work better. those sensors aren't triggered by heat, they're triggered by changes in heat. they detect motion.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

A specific person or just a person in general? One on his own or in a crowd?

Why not set up a web cam with motion detection software?

Reply to
CWatters

Yes, they track motion by changes in heat patterns which can be masked by a hot background radiating a lot of infrared. Being 100% disabled, I have quite a few IR motion sensors around here to turn lights on and off. On really hot days they don't work at all. I've also had problems with IR detectors on cold days where minor air current would constantly set them off on burglar alarm systems in cold northern states.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida