where can I buy an inexpensive development kit?

HI, I am student, and I am interesting in using Linux to do a embedded project. I have not decided the project topic, but the processor I am looking for is either x86, ARM, or MIPS. The memory is around 32 MB. I have tried to look online, but most of them are too expensive for a student. Is there any development kit that is around $300 and fit my description?

Thank you for you help.

Shih-Ying Chou

Reply to
Steve Chou

Here's a description of one possibility (long link)

or search on groups.google.com for "compusa router embedded linux".

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

There's something to be said for just taking an old PC and treating it like an embedded system! Putting the entire kernel and userland on a floppy is a pretty good simulation of what you have to do with a flash-based embedded system.

And to make the simulation more realistic, you can use a real embedded distro, e.g.

Once you have things working on the PC, you can even just recompile for a different processor type, and port fairly easily to a real embedded system.

By the way, last month I bought a WRT54G for $95 or so and was able to load Linux programs on it (see

It only has 16MB of RAM, though, and nobody has yet dared to replace the kernel, which is in flash. If you happen to have one of those around, you can try building apps for it using a cross-compiler. For info about how to build cross-compilers, see

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

See

The ELDK is free for download, 99 Euro on CDROM.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Wolfgang Denk

buy a dreamcast :), its what i use :)

"Steve Chou" escreveu na mensagem news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
helder Varela

I've been tempted to do that myself. The main unit's pretty cheap, and the ethernet card isn't too expensive if you can find one. Problem is, the darn thing only has 16 (or 24MB, if you count the framebuffer) of RAM, whereas the original poster wanted something with 32MB RAM. And I can't blame him; 16MB is awful cozy.

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

Try a 3.5" biscuit PC. Advantech PCM-5820, around $250, plus $20 for a 64Mb SODIMM.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Hiya,

Take a look at

They have both ARM and x86 plaforms an they are small and cheap!

Dan Andersson