where can I buy an inexpensive development kit?

HI,
    I am student, and I am interesting in using Linux to do a embedded
project.  I have not decided the project topic, but the processor I am
looking for is either x86, ARM, or MIPS.  The memory is around 32 MB.
    I have tried to look online, but most of them are too expensive for a
student.  Is there any development kit that is around $300 and fit my
description?

Thank you for you help.

Shih-Ying Chou

Re: where can I buy an inexpensive development kit?

Here's a description of one possibility (long link)
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=compusa+router+embedded+linux&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3fbec34e%241%40usenet01.boi.hp.com&rnum=2

or search on groups.google.com for "compusa router embedded linux".

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: where can I buy an inexpensive development kit?

There's something to be said for just taking an old PC and
treating it like an embedded system!  Putting the entire
kernel and userland on a floppy is a pretty good simulation
of what you have to do with a flash-based embedded system.

And to make the simulation more realistic, you can use
a real embedded distro, e.g. http://ptxdist.sf.net .
Once you have things working on the PC, you can even
just recompile for a different processor type, and
port fairly easily to a real embedded system.

By the way, last month I bought a WRT54G for $95 or
so and was able to load Linux programs on it
(see http://kegel.com/linux/embed ).  It only has 16MB
of RAM, though, and nobody has yet dared to replace
the kernel, which is in flash.  If you happen to have
one of those around, you can try building apps for it
using a cross-compiler.  For info about how to build
cross-compilers, see http://kegel.com/crosstool .
- Dan

Re: where can I buy an inexpensive development kit?

See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDK

The ELDK is free for download, 99 Euro on CDROM.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de

Re: where can I buy an inexpensive development kit?

I've been tempted to do that myself.  The main unit's
pretty cheap, and the ethernet card isn't too expensive
if you can find one.   Problem is, the darn thing only
has 16 (or 24MB, if you count the framebuffer) of RAM,
whereas the original poster wanted something with 32MB RAM.
And I can't blame him; 16MB is awful cozy.
- Dan

Re: where can I buy an inexpensive development kit?

Try a 3.5" biscuit PC. Advantech PCM-5820, around $250, plus $20 for a 64Mb
SODIMM.

Re: where can I buy an inexpensive development kit?

Hiya,

Take a look at www.compulab.co.il

They have both ARM and x86 plaforms an they are small and cheap!

Cheers

Site Timeline