WANTED: Payment Terminal

While I'm wading through hype & BS from various manufacturers' web
sites and off-topic replies from sales & marketing departments, I
thought I'd ask here if anyone knows of such a beast, running on a
Linux platform? Maybe there's a better place to ask?

We have a client looking to do a test-market with a small terminal,
similar to a credit-card terminal or a utility-bill payment terminal -
that is, relatively few peripherals.

He wants to put these in stores, and the cashiers would key in a code
(or possibly swipe a mag-stripe card), the terminal would dial a
server (or could already be online) and exchange a small amount of
data with the server, then print a receipt with a code number.

There are a number of credit-card and utility-bill terminals
available, but I haven't been able to discover if any of them support
a reasonably straight-forward method of programming - we have a
prototype running just fine, on a RH9 system, and would like to port
that code pretty much as-is... it would be a huge plus if there were a
clean way to send either patches or new code to the terminals.

Generally, the terminal should have the following:

   keypad

   printer - 27-to-40 columns - thermal or impact, but easy paper
             changing a definite plus

   display - don't need a lot, could get by with 2-to-4 lines by
             20-to-40 characters

   internet interface - could be slow modem or ethernet, this will
             not be transmitting or receiving a lot of data

   mag stripe reader - not necessary, but would be useful, and
             would be required for future expandsion of applications;
             could be interfaced via keyboard, usb or conventional
             serial ports if available

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Re: WANTED: Payment Terminal
Hi Sam,

So, if you have it running under Linux, where is the problem. Take
any feasable embedded Linux system and port your software.

keybord or serial interface

e.g. Epson with serial interface.

serial interface

Thernet and modem are avalable.

again serial interface.

May be USB could be a good alternative.

Regards, Kurt

--
PiN - Präsenz im Netz GITmbH
Kurt Harders

[Stuff Snipped]

IBM, Olivetti, ICL and others make PC based Pay terminals. They often
run OS/2 or Windows. Replacing this with Linux should not be a
problem.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline