Mag stripe writer

Stop there a moment. I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me you could be setting yourself up for a pack of legal woes with any system which reads the detail info on a driver's license.

I'll let others address the technical aspects if they choose to do so. For my part, I can say with confidence that your request is setting off nine different kinds of alarm bells, klaxons, and other such warnings in my skull.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Hi, all,

I'm looking to program a front-end for a project I have coming up. I need to be able to swipe a card, look at the info on there already, input new info, and write it. Finally, all the info going thru the reader/writer needs to be stored in a (sql?) database.

The specs on the project are like this: The front-end needs to scan & ocr a driver's licence (I think Reynolds & Reynolds has some hardware/software that will do this). This information will go into a form.

Next, the owner of the card will draw a playing card at random. User inputs this card - rank & suit - into the same form.

Finally, the user will click "write" and swipe the card, thus encoding DL information and which playing card was drawn onto the mag stripe card.

5 playing cards total will be drawn, meaning 2 swipes are neccesary each time a card is chosen -- one swipe to populate the form, and another swipe to write the new information (eg. which playing card was just chosen) onto the mag card. The subsequent writes must be non-destructive, or at least have the appearance of being non-destructive by keeping what is already on the card.

Additionally, all of this information must be exported to a database.

Any ideas or sugguestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Domenic

Reply to
kjhkjh

First, thanks for the reply.

IANAL as well, but I can't see any obvious reason why this should be a problem if it's done with the consent of the license holder. Could you elaborate?

-D

need to

info,

to be

Reply to
kjhkjh

That DL belongs to the State that issued it not the person it was issued to. Adding or changing anything on it can get you in really deep do-do.

-- Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack there of) at:

Shameless Commercial Division:

&

information

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Not to mention the fact that merely having purchased a mag card writer automatically flags you as an obvious felon intent on credit card fraud in umpteen different databases leading to

24 hour survelance and tax audits :-).
Reply to
Tom Horsley

I guess I should have clarified that we'll be using a dedicated mag card and won't be writing on the mag strip on the DL itself ;)

to.

new

needs

Reynolds

setting

Reply to
kjhkjh

Rich,

Yeah I guess I wasn't clear that these 5 cards are chosen in 5 different physical locations... oops

and

in,

Reply to
kjhkjh