Video controller implementation and Overlay management

Hi all, I'm a hw/fw designer and I'm now involved in developing a simple QVGA controller inside a FPGA for an ambedded architecture (using PPC8270 micro and a sharp TFT 6bit/color display). I found on opencores a VGA IP core that seems to be interesting and usable but it doesn't manage OVERLAY.

I do not know how Linux manage X window sys... I google a lot whithout find an useful answer, so please help:

- Do I need to implement an OVERLAY MANAGEMENT feature inside my FPGA or not? Could I charge Linux's for OVERLAY features ?

- Should I write overlay features inside the driver or it's already implemented in kernel?

- Where I could find info about video driver developing and kernel integration?

- Do you have suggestion ?

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance, regards!

B.

Reply to
Bubugian