RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?

Hello, I want do develop a little robot on a little board, preferably
PXA255 but can be another low-power consuming one. Does anyone here have
experience with RT-java and the jamaica plugin for eclipse to do this?
Would it be faster than developing with GNU, C crosscompiling?
Thank you
Micha

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?

C is an excellent choice for embedded linux so I wonder what your reasons
are for considering Java? I haven't used RT version of Java. Is RT-Java
not resource hungry? What about the part of your application that
manipulates the hardware? Can you do this through RT-Java? With the
standard JRE, you can't - you need to overcome this, either by using JNI
or by using io interface on a filesystem node (e.g device driver).

I would say writing a large program in Java is far quicker than
if you were writing it in C. If your program is large then you could
get some time savings. But if like a lot of embedded software it is
relatively small, then the speed advantages of writing java code I think
becomes a moot point, and you're better off considering the distinct
advantages C has over java, i.e. lightweight and fast execution.

I would be inclined to use C, but maybe someone could enlighten us about
the merits of RT-Java ;-)

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?
http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID15%9905424

is interesting in that it mentions productivity doubling on a 60 person
team.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?
Thank you for your help Paul! I am very sorry not to be able to
enlighten anyone here about RT Java. It is a proposal from a colleague.
I am used to "C" and GNU Tools.
I was searching for "RT java" but found only a few references, so I
wanted to know if there is any experience with that software beside
military experiments.
Regards,
Micha

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?

If you do use C, you might want to consider breaking
the user interface "front end" from the hardware
control "back end" with a protocol between them.
Such a division lets you keep the back end simple
and lets you easily build lots of front ends to
meet particular needs.

The Run-Time-Access library might be a good choice
if you do decide to devide the front end from the
back end.  RTA is at http://www.runtimeaccess.com
and is under the LGPL.

Bob

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?
hy bob!

thanks for your proposal, it is now on my list of "usable things to be
considered sometime".

Since I am an old FORTH enthusiast, I like to "keep it simple". That
means, I like small, fast, well designed interfaces between small bits
of code. Forth is best designed for this task but since customers like
linux, I try to do it in C, Java or whatever.

Regards,
micha

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?
And you can't find a forth that runs under Linux????

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?
Hy Rufus,

Why, did I say that?? There are quite a few!

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?

This looks like you are saying you "do it in C, Java, or whatever", because
"customers like linux".

I inferred from this that you couldn't use Forth because "customers like
linux".

And I thought, "why does linux preclude Forth?"

Rufus

Re: RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?

as you know, it does not. its rather like "customers preclude forth".
nevertheless, in a real forth environment, linux should be obsolete
because of the nice way, forth can handle devices, its built-in
"compreter", editor, screen-concept.

did someone run a forth as development system and OS (no underlying OS)
on a e.g. amd 3400+ CPU with 512MB ram? must be useless and funny to see
bits moving through the cpu like in a time-warp effect :-) one would
need kind of PCI drivers, written in forth, hmmm.

micha

Site Timeline