Restricting USB devices on a per port basis.

Hello.

I am working on a linux based device that will have two USB ports
physically placed in two different places. One of them is to allow for
dumping of recorded data to an external USB storage device. The other
is to facilitate service by connecting a keyboard (the device will
have a touch screen for normal user interaction).

The question is: is there a way to restrict the devices I connect to
each port (USB storage in one, keyboard only in the other?)

Thank you very much in advance for your inputs.

Elder.

Re: Restricting USB devices on a per port basis.
Only way I know is to get your hands dirty by changing the host USB
device driver on your linux kernel.  You can even read Vendor ID,
Product ID, EP type .....etc and have code that takes conditional
action on them.  But this approach may take a lot of time for
development and testing!

Re: Restricting USB devices on a per port basis.
If you use hotplug to detect and load drivers you can modify the udev/hotplug
script(s).
Hotplug gives you the info on which port the device connected, based on that you
can load or not load the usb-driver for the device.
I use this trick to allow a USB memory stick only in one special usb socket.

Best regards,
Edwin

Site Timeline