Re: Over a billion Linux users in the world...

Tattoo Vampire wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> >> ...according to SJVN over at ZDNet. >> >> "Number two (operating system) with a bullet is Linux-based Android. >> Android rules the smartphone operating system market no matter whose >> metrics you use. Canalys found that out of 279.4 million smartphones >> shipped in Q1 2014, 81 percent were Android devices. IDC claims that >> Android has two-thirds of 2014's tablet market share sales to date. >> Looking ahead, IDC predicts that Android will be on 80.2 percent of over >> 1.2-billion smartphones sold during 2014 . >> >> "Taken as a whole, Android clearly rules the Linux end-user space. No, >> you may not think of it as a desktop yet ?although AMD and Intel would >> both like you to change your mind about that ? but Android is on its way >> to being the top end-user operating system of all." >> >>
> > Yeah, a dumbed-down GUI suitable for thumbs turned out to be the way to > go. Not sure how that translates to the "desktop", as Microsoft is finding > out.

I just wish there were more open sourced window managers out there that were simplified like Android and able to work with multi-touch capacitive type displays without the aid of a mouse or having to put up with a small form factor such as a phone or a tablet.

Unity is good, but there must be others as well. The more kiosk like it appears, the better it would be for simple every day embedded applications.

Reply to
7