Preferred Console for Machine to Machine Communication over RS232 Com 1

Hi.

I have a single board computer (SnapGear SE1100.  CPU is Motorola Coldfire
5272.  Will run uClinux once I can talk to it and can build and flash
update with a kernel) that I need to talk to from an Intel Pentium Computer
with SuSE 9.0 as OS.

I have a healthy looking blinking LNK LED on the SE1100 which says to me
that the board is alive.

I have been trying to use kermit to talk to the single board computer over
the onboard com port (/dev/ttyS0) of the Intel SuSE computer.  I am not
having any luck despite the following:

* Null Modem Cable is in place
* Cable is correctly connected to Serial 1 port on the SE1100
* Correct speed on port.  Single board computer wants to talk at 9600 baud.
Intel SuSE system is correctly set up via kermit SET SPEED.
* SET FLOW for Intel SuSE system is NONE (as per single board computer
requirements)

kermit CONNECT (post disabling look for carrier) gets me nowhere. The
terminal session goes nowhere (keyboard entries do not work, escape
character does not work) I get no error messages.  My only option is to
kill the session by closing the term window.

Is kermit my best choice for this type of communication?

Thanks

Mike

Re: Preferred Console for Machine to Machine Communication over RS232 Com 1

Well, I also lost a fight with kermit before I settled for minicom.
The GUI is more like an ascii-UI, no fancy mouse buttons and such. But
it works and supports raw read and write. The program should be included
in every decent distro :-)

Start it as root with the option -s to get directly to the configuration
dialogs. You can also change parameters on the fly if you get into the
internal mode with [CTRL-a]-z-o or [ESC]-z-o.

Seyon should do the same job with a mousy interface, but configuration
seemed a tad too confusing for me...

Hope that helps,
                  ---<(kaimartin)>---

--
Kai-Martin Knaak
kmk@tem-messtechnik.de

or you can go even smaller/simpler, and use 'cu' or 'tip'

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     snipped-for-privacy@snapgear.com