DESPERATE: USB to RS232 converter works in remote SSH session, but doesn't locally

Hi, All

I have a very strange behaviour in just one computer, other different ones were tested and everything works just as it should.

On this one sometimes it works, sometimes not. Let me try to detail the tests I've done:

Hardware setup: a USB to RS232 detected as /dev/ttyUSB0 connected to the system and to the existing /dev/ttyS0.

(by the way, I have already changed the /dev/ttyUSB0 permissions so that anyone could read/write to it)

- locally log on tty0 as root, open minicom and set it up to /dev/ttyS0

- locally log on tty1 as root, open minicom and set it up to /dev/ttyUSB0

I've tried to send / receive something and nothing seems to go through the cable.

New setup: remote access through SSH:

- log on in tty0 and tty1 on remote computer as normal user, opened a ssh session on tty0 and also on tty1 to the machine with the USB to RS232 converter still connected, and "su" to root also on both sessions.

- on the SSH session on remote machine's tty0, open minicom and set it up to /dev/ttyS0

- on the SSH session on remote machine's tty1, open minicom and set it up to /dev/ttyUSB0

Now when I try to send / receive something and everything works fine!!!!!!!

What can that difference be?

On both setups it is the root user who is accessing the /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyUSB0 , so what makes it different from a local and a remote sessions?

Thanks for any insight.

Best regards Yours desperate newbie ;) Francisco

Reply to
newbie