Newbie - How to download object files on a running system? - MPC860

I'd like to download the total software image and then want to add a
module (.o file) to the image during runtime. I do not want to disturb
the existing/working image.

I'm using Cross compiler ccppc version cygnus-2.7.2-960126 egcs-971225
tornado 2.0 on Solaris Machine and my development machine is Windows
NT with Tornado 2.0

Could you please let me know, how to add .o files to the existing
image during runtime?

I want to be able to compile and create the object (.o files) files on
my windows development machine and download the same to my target
VxWorks machine without affecting the existing image.

I'm able to download either complete image or just object file, but
not both of them together.

In the worst case, I want to be able to switch from the image to the
object file that I downloaded and vice versa from VxWorks prompt.

I am looking for something similar to 'insmod' that allows us to
insert modules to the working kernel/image. It worked for me with
uCLinux Embedded OS.

Regards
Arun

Re: Newbie - How to download object files on a running system? - MPC860

I don't think this is possible. I suppose you should upload a complete
additional program (elf file) and have the running application start it.

-Michael

Re: Newbie - How to download object files on a running system? - MPC860

   Why dont you use the target server to load the object file!!!
Ref., chap 8 in tornado users guide...
and do post your findings and observations!!!

Srinivas

Re: Newbie - How to download object files on a running system? - MPC860
Ftp the object file on your flash (if you have any).  then load the
object file using the ld < file.o command.  If you are booting using
the network, you can load directly from the network.

Then run the main function in the loaded object.  This is usually the
routine that spawns the task.

    Jerry

 14 Sep 2004 04:24:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@indiatimes.com (Arun Prasad)