linux kernel not seeing pci device

i have a home grown pci card that can be detected by u-boot. ('pci' command shows vendor and device id of my card)

but linux kernel doens't detect the card. (lspci or scanpci command doesn't display the card)

what's the best way to troubleshoot this problem?

thank you in advance..

Reply to
mcharon

If you use a standard distribution the card's parameters should be available in the /proc file system. With SUSE even visible with Yast.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

But lspci is already reading /proc/bus/pci/devices for him. If it's not showing up there, he probably doesn't have the hardware working.

ellis

I suppose in a PC, all these don't do hardware access themselves but just gather informations from the PCI-Bios that probes the hardware when starting the PC. I don't know how hot-plugging PCI works.

Maybe the PCI-Bios can/needs to be configured for PCI accesses and/or somehow shows what it finds.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

hi everyone, i know the hardware is working because uboot can read the card's vendor id/and device id. forgot to mention that i am on MIPS platform.

lastweek i downloaded scanpci utility to scan pci and the card didn't show up. i am wondering at this point --may be uboot takes all pci devices out of reset but linux doesn't.

i will probably have to look into the uboot and kernel code and compare...

Michael Schnell wrote:

Reply to
mcharon

Is it safe to assume that lspci works? You do see devices listed with lspci. I have seen lspci fail to work because of kernel config changes. Just for grins, you might want to check sysfs.

grep /sys/bus/pci/devices/*/vendor

Also look at /var/log/dmesg and see if your device is mentioned there.

Good luck. John

Reply to
John Fusco

Which linux kernel?

ellis

Have you looked at the uboot source to see what it is doing?

That shouldn't matter.

Check the source.

Yep.

ellis