LCD drivers

hi all,

I have to write various application for a vortex86 board.In that i have got 2 X 20 LCD display.Do i have to write a driver for that from the scratch,if so plz suggest some sites for that or is any open source available for that and plz can anybody suggest some details regarding this. regards konkan

Reply to
konkan

it's a character device, you can probably use a standard tty driver, and customise a tad.

jim dorey

: > hi all, : >

: > I have to write various application for a vortex86 board.In that i have : > got 2 X 20 LCD display.Do i have to write a driver for that from the : > scratch,if so plz suggest some sites for that or is any open source : > available for that and plz can anybody suggest : > some details regarding this. : > regards : > konkan : >

: it's a character device, you can probably use a standard tty driver, and : customise a tad.

Oh yeah, just a tad :-)

Don't know the board - whats the interface to the LCD? Is it a parallel interface?

Is the board HD44780 compatible, if so there is loads of example code out there for driving these boards - do a google search. You may be able to do a userspace program.

If you write a userspace daemon that is accessed by other programs via a named pipe you have a lazypersons driver of sorts.

Reply to
J Jackson

have

the

and

Reply to
konkan

if it has serial interface capabilities then it'll probably be a breeze to use the tty driver, if it's a parallel lcd it's a little more complicated. you can pester the guys at lcdproc for info, but there's a bunch of parallel lcd's with serial modes, so the list of lcd's you wouldn't be able to use the standard tty drivers on are more manageable.

jim dorey

hi, Thanx 4 the reply.Here i have got a serial interface. i have to use this 2 x 20 Lcd for monitoring various app like 2d games and all.

Do i have to write a driver 4 that ,or can i send datas trough the serial port itself.will there be controller 4 this LCD.

plz give me some suggestions.. regards konkan

Reply to
konkan

konkan wrote: : hi, : Thanx 4 the reply.Here i have got a serial interface.

If it's an standard rs232 interface then it should be a no-brainer, and you should be able to just do everything in user space.