I want to make a linux on my usb storage

dear all:

I want to make a linux on my usb storage (32 MB),following is the fuctions i wanted:

1> .boot a common pc from my usb storage; 2> .have a gui ,such as "microwindow","minigui"; 3> .certenly, the common feature of a real os.

and the following steps is my idea about the project:

1>.make a "linux kernel" that surports usb device by pc; 2>.make a "initrd.img" file and a proc file image; 3>.make a ext2 file system on the usb storage ,and "copy" the kernel ,initrd.img , proc file image to it (also the gui program); 4>.set up the grub on the usb storage; 5>.run it.

but now , i don't certen about the step 2> and 3>,because i haven't known the steps that a real linux boot,anyone help please!

by the way, do you think a "GUI" on it is impossible? tell me please!

Reply to
kevin0608

Why not just use vmplayer and store a vmware image of the computer you want on the flash drive? You can store the vmplayer install files on the flash too. Since all machines will recognize the drive you can always bring up your virtual machine. It can have anything any other linux system has.

By the way, I doubt you can even buy flash drives that are only 32MB any more.

-Clark

Reply to
cpope

Hiya,

Have you looked at Damn Small Linux

They get X, apps (web browsers, editors and so on) into 50Mb, so you should be able to get something useful into 32Mb.

There is also some stuff about putting D.S.L. onto a flash drive if you go for a slightly bigger pen-drive and save a bit of effort.

Cheers, John McCallum Edinburgh

Reply to
John McCallum

Hello,

want

You have still to fit the image and the vmplayer into 32 Mb, which is harder than only have the image (or linux file system) on it.

I have a Compact Flash card with 32 Mb and use an CF2IDE adaptor. They are still sold. And if I think about other countries, they might still be an only option...

First, the kernel mounts the root device (if initrd: /dev/ram0) as the root and executes /sbin/init (if initrd: /initrd). This init program then starts additional processes, normally these are getty's on the different virtual consoles, which then start login-processes and shells. You can start anything there.

But, and this is my biggest problem, init may be linked to libraries, but they must of course be available and add another layer of complexity. But, this is possible.

It is possible with a lot less. I had run Linux just for fun on a Palm IIIx device, including some GUI programs, in 4 Mb of memory without any mass storage. But it was not usable. Another thing which works is the Tuxbox distribution which runs completely out of 8 Mb flash and provides a remote-controlled GUI. So it is doable. The only question is what you want to invest (time, money, work).

Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian

"Sebastian =D0=B4=B5=C0=A3=BA "

sh

der

ot

ts

Ix

y,

i do this just for fun too. i also want to konw how a linux started from a image file .

Reply to
kevin0608