I want to make a linux on my usb storage

dear all:

I want to make a linux on my usb storage (32 MB),following is the
fuctions i
wanted:
1> .boot a common pc from my usb storage;
2> .have a gui ,such as "microwindow","minigui";
3> .certenly, the common feature of a real os.

and the following steps is my idea about the project:

1>.make a  "linux kernel" that surports usb device by pc;
2>.make a "initrd.img" file and a proc file image;
3>.make a ext2 file system on the usb storage ,and "copy" the
kernel ,initrd.img , proc file image to it (also the gui program);
4>.set up the grub on the usb storage;
5>.run it.

but now , i don't certen about the step 2> and 3>,because i haven't
known the steps that a real linux boot,anyone help please!

by the way, do you think a "GUI" on it is impossible?
tell me please!

Re: I want to make a linux on my usb storage
Why not just use vmplayer and store a vmware image of the computer you want
on the flash drive? You can store the vmplayer install files on the flash
too. Since all machines will recognize the drive you can always bring up
your virtual machine. It can have anything any other linux system has.

By the way, I doubt you can even buy flash drives that are only 32MB any
more.

-Clark

Re: I want to make a linux on my usb storage
Hello,

want

You have still to fit the image and the vmplayer into 32 Mb, which is harder
than only have the image (or linux file system) on it.

I have a Compact Flash card with 32 Mb and use an CF2IDE adaptor. They are
still sold. And if I think about other countries, they might still be an
only option...

First, the kernel mounts the root device (if initrd: /dev/ram0) as the root
and executes /sbin/init (if initrd: /initrd). This init program then starts
additional processes, normally these are getty's on the different virtual
consoles, which then start login-processes and shells. You can start
anything there.

But, and this is my biggest problem, init may be linked to libraries, but
they must of course be available and add another layer of complexity. But,
this is possible.

It is possible with a lot less. I had run Linux just for fun on a Palm IIIx
device, including some GUI programs, in 4 Mb of memory without any mass
storage. But it was not usable. Another thing which works is the Tuxbox
distribution which runs completely out of 8 Mb flash and provides a
remote-controlled GUI.
So it is doable. The only question is what you want to invest (time, money,
work).

Regards,
Sebastian

Re: I want to make a linux on my usb storage

"Sebastian D0%B4B5%C0A3%BA
"

i do this just for fun too. i also want to konw how a linux started
from a image file .

Re: I want to make a linux on my usb storage
Hiya,

Have you looked at Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org /). They
get X, apps (web browsers, editors and so on) into 50Mb, so you should
be able to get something useful into 32Mb.

There is also some stuff about putting D.S.L. onto a flash drive if you go
for a slightly bigger pen-drive and save a bit of effort.

Cheers,
John McCallum
Edinburgh

Site Timeline