Help Required to port MPEG Decoder,TCP/IP Stack, with UC/OS II Linux 2.0.38 onto an ARM Board

Hi All,

I have a project Deadline to Meet: I have to port a TCP/IP Stack,an MPEG decoder onto an ARM Board with UC/OSII as the OS.Pls let me know the following Things:

1)WHat is porting and How do i go abt it. 2)What are the books and docs I shud refer for this 3)How mucb Time do u think it will take

Pls help me. Thanks, George

Reply to
leo

Hi All,

I have a project Deadline to Meet: I have to port a TCP/IP Stack,an MPEG decoder onto an ARM Board with UC/OSII as the OS.Pls let me know the following Things:

1)WHat is porting and How do i go abt it. 2)What are the books and docs I shud refer for this 3)How mucb Time do u think it will take

Pls help me. Thanks, George

Reply to
leo

If you have to ask these questions, the answer to 3) is "somewhere between one month and two years".

Since the TCP/IP stack is pretty useless without an underlying driver of some kind (be that Ethernet, or a PPP implementation), figure that into your equation too.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I suggest you invest in a book on English first, study it well then recompose your questions to the group......

My 2 cent opinion is that you should run, if you are asking these sort of questions you are not the person to undertake such a project..... especially considering you already have a deadline to meet....

DY

Reply to
Dr. Y.

"Porting" is the act of transforming a program that runs on one platform such that it runs on a different platform. As to how you go about "porting", that's the general job of a computer programmer.

I can't give you a large list, but you /could/ try "Porting UNIX Software" by Greg Lehey Copyright 1995 by O'Reilly & Associates ISBN 1-56592-126-7 Overall, the references that /I/ would use are the ones directly related to the task or the language that I'm working in. Typically, they would include the reference manuals for your particular OS, compiler, etc, along with the operational specs for the product that you are porting, and any product implementation documentation available.

It will take as long as it takes, and not a moment more. No one here can give you a time estimate given the sparse amount of information you've given us.

One comment: Please endeavour to improve your spelling. Computers (especially compilers) are literal devices; a compiler doesn't know that 'abt' and 'about' are the same thing, nor can it determine that 'shud' means 'should' or 'mucb' means 'much'. A programmer that cannot spell is a programmer who cannot program; such a programmer will have syntax errors, and bad variables, and faulty code because of spelling errors. If you practice spelling, such that correct spelling becomes second nature, you will reduce the number of programming errors you will commit due to "typos" or other spelling faults.

Just my two cents worth.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training