hd sleep mode

Is there anyway to get a hd out of sleep mode after putting it into
that without a warm reboot?

We have an embedded system that runs in cold tempertures, when the hard
disk gets too cold, we put the hd into sleep and run out of CF, but
when the temperture warms up, we want to get the hd back to usage
without a reboot.  Possible?
TIA

Re: hd sleep mode
Is there any reason you can't use Standby mode instead of Sleep mode?
The disk still spins down, and you wouldn't have the trouble
of having to issue a reset to get it back online.

However, I've just re-read the hdparm man page, and it seems to be
different to last time I used standby/sleep mode:

    -Y  Force  an  IDE  drive to immediately enter the lowest power consumption
        sleep mode, causing it to shut down completely.  A hard or soft reset is
        required  before  the drive can be accessed again (the Linux IDE driver
will
        automatically handle issuing a reset if/when needed).  The current power
mode
        status can be checked using the -C flag.

The part in brackets seems to imply the kernel can issue the reset and get the
drive
back online.
Perhaps this is a new feature you should investigate..

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:   snipped-for-privacy@cyberguard.com.au
Re: hd sleep mode

is
driver will
power mode
drive

Thanks,
However it seems that I cannot put the drive in standby.  I tried the
-y option but when checking the status '-C' it stills says
'active/idle'.
Also, I don't see a way to take it out of standby even if I could get
it into this mode.
I have gone a bit further and started to use smarttools to read the
drive status.  When I see the temperature of the drive going below or
above, I will put the drive in sleep mode.  When I see the temperature
return to a normal working zone, I will reboot the system and start
over.  Not the best way, but I don't see how to get this drive back
into working mode with just using hdparm.

Re: hd sleep mode

: Thanks,
: However it seems that I cannot put the drive in standby.  I tried the
: -y option but when checking the status '-C' it stills says
: 'active/idle'.

errr..... depending on your setup there are issues.
If ANY of the software/configuration data of your system is on the
harddrive, then after you put it in spindown mode, it needs to read the
disk and spins it back up!

Maybe all your OS stuff is on the CF. If so I can't see what the problem
is.

I've used spindown and putting the drive in standby etc, with hdparm, and
the next time you accessed the drive the kernel does the necessary to
bring it to life automagically.

see some comments in

  http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/jj/linux/sbc.html#Configuring%20Spindown

: Also, I don't see a way to take it out of standby even if I could get
: it into this mode.
: I have gone a bit further and started to use smarttools to read the
: drive status.  When I see the temperature of the drive going below or
: above, I will put the drive in sleep mode.  When I see the temperature
: return to a normal working zone, I will reboot the system and start
: over.  Not the best way, but I don't see how to get this drive back
: into working mode with just using hdparm.

Re: hd sleep mode

OK, that makes sense.  I'll try going into init 1 and run my stuff out
of CF.

I'm running out of ramdisk, booting out of CF
Thanks

Site Timeline