[Fwd: RedHat 9.0 login problem]

ABAF0407E78D5302BCEE527A Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi,

I'm building a flash-based system from scratch using a RedHat 9.0 development installation as base. I'm using grub, kernel 2.4.20, init, login. It boots up to a login prompt, but when I enter "root", it immediately logs "login failed" about four times to the console, without

giving a password prompt. It then returns to the login prompt. I've included passwd, shadow, nsswitch.conf (everything local file), pam.conf (everything to pam_permit.so).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you

Reply to
Adriaan Pelzer

Have you rigorously checked all library dependencies? libcrypt, for instance?

I only vaguely recall this now, but I think I had a very similar problem when I was trying to do something similar with RH8.0 a while ago. The two things I had to do in order to solve this problem were:

  1. check all dependencies of /usr/bin/passwd and copy all those libraries across to the target system. (Yes, I know you're not changing your password; you're trying to log in, but the same libraries are used).
  2. (when step 1 proved inadequate!) strace an attempt to change my password on the development system, which showed up a couple more vital libraries that were being loaded explicitly, rather than automatically. Might have been another config file, or maybe a log directory, that had to be created on the target also.
Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards