Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: RedHat 9.0 login problem
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:00:09 +0200

Hi,

I'm building a flash-based system from scratch using a RedHat 9.0
development installation as base. I'm using grub, kernel 2.4.20, init,
login. It boots up to a login prompt, but when I enter "root", it
immediately logs "login failed" about four times to the console, without
giving a password prompt. It then returns to the login prompt.
I've included passwd, shadow, nsswitch.conf (everything local file),
pam.conf (everything to pam_permit.so).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you

--------------ABAF0407E78D5302BCEE527A--

Re: [Fwd: RedHat 9.0 login problem]

Have you rigorously checked all library dependencies? libcrypt, for
instance?

I only vaguely recall this now, but I think I had a very similar problem
when I was trying to do something similar with RH8.0 a while ago. The
two things I had to do in order to solve this problem were:

1. check all dependencies of /usr/bin/passwd and copy all those
libraries across to the target system. (Yes, I know you're not changing
your password; you're trying to log in, but the same libraries are used).

2. (when step 1 proved inadequate!) strace an attempt to change my
password on the development system, which showed up a couple more vital
libraries that were being loaded explicitly, rather than automatically.
Might have been another config file, or maybe a log directory, that had
to be created on the target also.

Site Timeline