FTP in user application

Hello,
my board should to get a file from a remote server by the FTP protocol, in
user application.
What is a set of functions calls that I should use on the board, like:
        to establish FTP connection,
        to pass user&password, etc.

I expect, after a connection with the FTP server is established, I should to
use the open(), read(), etc. functions.
Anybody can send me example?
Thank you.

Re: FTP in user application

FTP runs on top of TCP, so you need two TCP (stream) sockets
and use the FTP protocol to effect the transfer.

The protocol details are in RFC 959 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html .

Next time, use Google first: it gave nearly two million
hits in 600 ms, and the link was on the first page.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: FTP in user application

Sometimes reading this group you get the impression that people want to
come on and get someone else to write their code and do their work for
them for free. The questions are open-ended to the point of
ridiculousness, ie "how can I port Linux to my custom board ?" or "how
do I write code that uses FTP ?".

Re: FTP in user application
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:00:57 +0000, "Geronimo W. Christ Esq"

I do not think this is always the case. Sometimes one works with
various things at a high level. e.g. using a ftp server or ftp client
to transfer files. One then might get a problem where one thinks,
gee something like ftp would do the job I want. If one then google
for a term like ftp, one gets a hel of a lot of links, which has got
basically buggerall to do with ftp. If one knows to search fro ftp +
RFC, then one would get the protocol info. Sometimes one just
needs the right set of search terms to get things out of google.

IMHO of course :)

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: FTP in user application

I agree with your general sentiment, sometimes you need a pointer in the
right direction and it's nice to get people who already did it to point
you that way.

But there's still a lot of "figure it out for me" stuff that can't be
dealt with under that banner. There's a case in point just posted today.
Look for the post with the subject line "Port Linux on PDA".

Re: FTP in user application
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:47:04 +0100, "Geronimo W. Christ Esq"

Yes, I agree that the "Port Linux on PDA" question is very specific
in the results wanted without asking a proper answerable question
within the framework of usenet.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline