Frame buffer driver for X server - Page 2

Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

That would be my solution as well....   (in fact, that is my current
solution.)

Unless you are trying to display interactive, realtime graphics or
something like that I would go with a webserver+browser as well.

--Yan

Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

Please watch you attributions. Your message suggests that Michael Schnell
wrote the quoted (now twice quoted) comments rather than myself...

Peter

Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

Of course this is the way something like this usually is done.

In the project I am up to do there are two issues with that: (1) with
http protocol I can't get events from the device to the remote screen.
Of course there are several standard solution for that (e.g using java
script for polling or creating a socket). And (2) this is going to be a
port from a PC program and it would be advantageous to make it look
alike the PC version.

The device is a complex information dispatcher communicating with
several external devices via serial and TCP/IP ports. Mainly status
informations should be (optionally) displayed (on multiple "pages") and
user should be enabled to do some configuring.

-Michael

Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

Hi Michael, glad to see you posting here too.

You can deal with issue 1 in html - use the autoreload tag. Every n
seconds it can reload the page. If you are CGI generating the page and
just polling for an event you can even change the page source to not
autoreload once the trigger event happens.

Number 2 you cannot deal with like the original PC program. But if done
in pure html (none of that java stuff), it is already ported to all
systems with browsers...Macs, Linux, some PDAs etc.

Regards, Steve

Re: Frame buffer driver for X server

Please contact me privately.  (Remove the N.O.S.P.A.M. from my email
address.)

I have something very similar sitting right here next to me;
communicates using serial (rs232 and 485), GSM modem, ethernet, 2 wire
industrial bus, etc, built-in browser, flash for animations,
programmable via built-in LCD or remote browser, etc.

Fully customizable via XML config files and php scripts.

--Yan

Re: Frame buffer driver for X server
Sounds good. Thanks a lot.

Right now I'm just researching options for the future project. So I'll
be glad to get back to you once we are closer to the project start.

Thanks a gain,
-Michael

Site Timeline