Festival Speech Synthesis

Hello,

I'm making my own minimalist embedded linux board, and I want to run festival speech synthesis program on the board. Of course, there is no sound card on the board, just CPU, RAM, and Flash so far.

I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of minimal hardware I need to add so that I can hear the synthesized speech?

Do I simply need D/A converter connected to a GPIO port, then amplifier, then speaker?

I guess I would have to write some kind of linux driver also that festival can send digital speech samples to it, then the driver would simply write that byte to the GPIO port to be converter by the D/A, then amplified and then to the speaker.

Will that work? Does anybody have a clue?

Thanks Dread_Locks

=========================== Remember patient man ride donkey!

Reply to
Dread_Locks

Hello,

There was the Covox Speech Thing many years ago. It is a simple D/A converter you put onto the parallel port. There was even a driver for it (pcsndrv), but I don't know if it works under newer linux kernels. Speech synthesis was possible through it, but the pc speaker made it possible, too.

The hardware itself is only an array of resistors and a capacitor and very easy to build (I use it myself). It's capabilities are 8 bit mono, but the frequency can be chosen as high as you like it (using my 286-12 I get around

22 kHz, but much more is possible using a faster CPU). All you need is an 8 bit wide output channel (or less).

Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian