Embedded GUI libs w/alpha, anti-aliasing

I'm for libraries for developing small GUIs for small touchpanel screens (in the 6"-8" range, 640x480, 256 color). The primary concern is that the interfaces look really pretty, with anti-aliased vector drawing and fonts (sub-pixel rendering would be excellent), 8-bit alpha blending, nice gradients, dithering to compensate for having only 8-bit color, etc. Given that the interface will be touchscreen rather than mouse, the GUI lib should be able to create oversized buttons. Multi-window capability is neither required nor particularly desired -- titlebars just waste space, and multitasking is not an issue in this application.

The screen will be driven by embedded hardware -- something like a

75MHz ARM with 16MB RAM. The good news is that this CPU doesn't need to run anything other than the interface and a TCP/IP stack. I can either run the UI app itself locally, or use an X server with remote display of an app running on another machine on the network. The UI app itself can be pretty slim; by far the most resource-intensive part will be anti-aliasing, alpha blending, etc, so moving this off the embedded device onto a full-powered machine and just leaving a slim X server on the panel makes some sense. But for better responsiveness, I'd rather cram as much of it locally as possible, without slowing the thing down even more than the network would.

Python is my favorite language, but if necessary I'll do it in C/C++ to save resources. There are quite a few things out there, none of which I've ever used: PicoGUI, TinyX, FLTK, etc. Some libs take the X model of separating display server from window manager from application, and some combine these things together. To save myself weeks of learning the features and quirks of each one, I'd love to hear from anybody who's actually used some of these toolkits and can offer some advice.

TIA,

Randall Nortman

Reply to
Randall Nortman

Take a look at Opie-

Might be worth a try.

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Fels

Then there's this:

use munged address above to email me
SpamTrap DoMeNow@seiner.com
Reply to
Captain Dondo

Randall Nortman wrote: [pretty GUIs]

Sounds like you want to use Evas. See

:M:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dipl.-Inf. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer snipped-for-privacy@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de Raum 10b - ++49 69 798 28358 Fachbereich Informatik und Biologie

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer

Yes, thanks, that's almost perfect. Actually, I think I'll mostly be using Edje, which provides a slightly higher level of abstraction on top of Evas. Between the two of them, plus the kernel framebuffer driver, I think I have everything I need. Thanks a lot!

With regard to the other suggestions people made: Opie is nice, but too much for my needs, because I don't need a desktop environment and application framework, but I do need more control over the appearance of widgets than Opie seems to provide. FBUI has the opposite problem

-- it's a bit too low-level, and doesn't seem to offer alpha blending and anti-aliasing.

Thanks to all who responded.

--
Randall
Reply to