cross-installing grub : what next

Hello all,

I've come to creating an image (busybox, kernel, etc.) of which I THINK it would work, once deployed on my target. I did this using ptxdist's cross-compilation possibilities. My host system is a i686 architecture, my target is a Geode EmCORE-n511 (so an i586 architecture).

Now I have the next problem, being to cross-compile grub for it, and to install it on my target hardware (via an image). All of this, I'd like to continue to do this using ptxdist, preferably. BUT... I have some questions :

  1. would someone have an example (or some useful links) on how I should do this, continuing to make use of ptxdist ?
  2. how can I determine what devicename the CF socket- inserted disk will have ? I think I should know this for my /etc/fstab ?

Thank you, and kind regards,

PhB

Reply to
PhB

The ptxdist-2 (or 1.99.x) can generate harddisk images that include the root filesystem and the grub loader. So a simple "dd" command can make your disk bootable.

On your host or on your target?

jbe

Reply to
Juergen Beisert