cross compile with ./configure

Dear c.o.l.embedded
I downloaded source of lrzsz and want to cross compile it. How do i make
gnu build system understand this?
./configure CROSS_COMPILE=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-
doesn't work.
Do i need to find a way to handle everything by hand? Source tree doesn't
seem complicated.

Re: cross compile with ./configure

did you try ./configure --help ?

f there was a CROSS_COMPILE option, it would be preceded with --, for example:
  --host=HOST       cross-compile to build programs to run on HOST [BUILD]

Typically you can use the following environmental variables
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  LIBS        libraries to pass to the linker, e.g. -l<library>
  CPPFLAGS    C/C++/Objective C preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if
              you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
  CPP         C preprocessor
  CXX         C++ compiler command
  CXXFLAGS    C++ compiler flags
  CXXCPP      C++ preprocessor

  --host=HOST       cross-compile to build programs to run on HOST [BUILD]

Re: cross compile with ./configure

$./configure CC=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc
configure: warning: CC=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc: invalid host type

$ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-
$ ./configure --host=i686-linux --target=arm-linux
(script runs but make terminates with error)

$ CC=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-
$ ./configure

checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no

So, each of these tries resulted in non working settings. My cross
toolchain is installed and in my PATH.

Re: cross compile with ./configure

You ought to post the error

It doesn't seem to work.

Configure is trying to tell you that your c compiler isn't capable
of cross compilation.
Look into the configure script to see how it is performing it's
test.

Re: cross compile with ./configure

OK, I got it working. Instead of "apt-get source", I downloaded the
original source from freshmeat. Then issued:

$ CC=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc ./configure --host=arm-unknown-linux-gnu

It configured and cross-compiled successfully.

Re: cross compile with ./configure
Try $ CC=arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc ./configure --host=arm-unknown-linux-gnu

Kristof

Re: cross compile with ./configure

That setting of a variable won't be seen by teh configure script.
Either export it as an environmental variable to be exported to
spawned processes, or include it in the ./configure line thus:

$ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-unknown-linux-gnu- ./configure --host=i686-linux
--target=arm-linux

Ditto. Look up 'export' in your bash manpage.

Phil
--
Marijuana is indeed a dangerous drug.
It causes governments to wage war against their own people.

-Michael

Site Timeline