cygwin, win2k, binutils

I installed the current cygwin to c:\cygwin.

I followed some directions to build binutils from
http://billgatliff.com/articles/gnu/gnu-arm7t.html/x56.html
although I am using the current sources. I'm trying to get an ARM
cross compiler / assembler working by building them from source code
on win2k.

I then tried to run the following:

$ cd build-binutils
$ ../binutils-2.14/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX

After running this command I get the following:

checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking target system type... arm-unknown-elf
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
cc: not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I've never used cygwin before. I don't know which cc I'm supposed to
use or where to get it. It doesn't seem to be included with cygwin (at
least the "default" installation).

What am I doing wrong?

thanks,
William

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils

Haven't tried it, but can you try to set environment variable CC to gcc ?

set CC=gcc
or
export CC=gcc

Greetings,

         Martin

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils

I don't have gcc. Does that need to be part of cygwin's installation
or do I get that from somewhere else?

William

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:25:34 -0400, William Wuister

You might want to take a glance at Lewin's book "Embedded System Design
on a Shoestring" (ISBN 0-7506-7609-4) which goes in detail through all
the steps necessary to get an ARM toolchain up and running under Cygwin
(and Linux too, naturally). The CD that comes with it includes all the
necessary software.

#disclaimer: Just a satisfied customer.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils
I'll order that book. I realized that the "default" installation of
cygwin did not include development tools. So, I installed that package
and was able to compile the hello.c example from the web site that I
mentioned. I'll probably compile on my linux machine later, but it's
nice to be able to compile ARM code in windows as well.

thanks again,
William

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:48:19 GMT, Rich Webb

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils

Quite recently, RedHat changed the default install of Cygwin to NOT
include native compiler toolchain. Reinstall and select everything;
note that it takes a VERY VERY long time to select all, and you will
probably run into a bug in the installer when you do this. If the
installer appears to do nothing and report a server failure, go BACK
(without exiting the installer) and choose a different FTP mirror.
This bug is a timeout connecting to the download server when you have
to select many many items in the install options dialog.

(I have no idea why it takes so damn long to check a couple of boxes.
But it can take one or two minutes for the installer to respond to
checking a full install; verifying dependencies, I guess).

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils

I think you are right about the dependency checking - cygwin is pretty good
at that as far as I can tell.  This means that you certainly don't need to
select everything - that would give a *very* big installation.  Simply
select "gcc", and the setup program will automatically select binutils and
anything else needed.

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils

It's still a mystery why it takes so long. It literally takes 30-120
seconds. Given the tiny size of the files that have been downloaded at
that point, the only way that searching/comparing this information
could possibly take so long is if an unbelievably bogus algorithm is
being used.

At the point where RH decided that gcc wasn't worth default inclusion,
I figured that there was a good chance that other utilities I
use/require regularly were also removed. So to be safe and avoid yet
more trial and error experimentation, I select all.

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils

good

It doesn't feel so slow for me, but maybe we have different speeds of PC.
But I agree that it shouldn't take so long for dependency checking, even on
an older PC.

What bugs me far more about the setup program is the tiny window, with daft
defaults for column widths in the package selection.  Depending on the
graphics toolkit they used, it may be hard to make the box resizeable, but
they could easily make it bigger!

and

I also have everything selected (I've got the disk space, and I've got the
internet bandwidth, and occasionally I do use X or postgresql or whatever).
But when someone only wants gcc in addition to the base, then selecting
everything is going to be hundreds of megs of extra downloads and diskspace
that they could well do without.  I'd recommend picking only gcc and trying
that - if it does turn out that something else is missing, then trial and
error will be far faster than downloading everything.

Re: cygwin, win2k, binutils

You did not load the full Cygwin package.

Load the Cygwin program development packages in the same way as the basic
installation was done - the installer knows how.

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Site Timeline