Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to build a module for a
2.4 kernel outside the kernel tree....

I am following the book, Linux Device Drivers, which is written for 2.6
kernels, so I expect that things will be a bit different.

For 2.6 kernels, this works:

make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.1  M=`pwd` modules

But I can't find an equivalent command for 2.4 kernels....

make -C /usr/local/src/linux24 M=`pwd` modules

Just builds all of the 2.4 modules, and not the one in `pwd`....

$M seems to be ignored... So how can I do this for 2.4 kernels?

--Yan

Re: Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

I'm a bit puzzled by that. The 2.4 version is available for free, search
for it with Google.

Re: Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

Yup, got it, thanks....

--Yan

Re: Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

I don't know if it is the best way what I did, and the makefile is a bit
more complicated (more than one target, final driver is constructed from
many object files) but anyway, check out the latest can4linux version
V3.3.4 and look at "Makefile-k2.4"
http://canexperts.de/engl/canprod/hw_can4linux_ext.html

Regards
  Heinz

Re: Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree
Hello ,

   This is possible in linux 2.4 also. I have built ethernet driver
module outside the kernel tree!

Best Regards,
Vivekanandan M

Site Timeline